MAC Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welshstar

Reaction score
Hi

Totally new guy, full respect that im asking a very simplistic question but please forgive me.

Im in a situation where I can choose between a MAC or Kukuichi Yanagi, looking at them the FK300 MAC is the prettiest. This is due to having credit at a store that carries these lines.

Is this a a real knife in terms of the knives you guys like or is this a tourist type of knife ? also same question about Kikuichi Ginsan grade

http://www.macknife.com/kitchen/pro...ypage.pbv.v2.tpl&product_id=82&category_id=31

http://kikuichi.net/yanagisushiknifestainlesssteelginsangrade.aspx

Thanks

Alan

Between the two I would go with the Kikuichi too, but I wouldn't pay what they're asking in the link you provided. Even half that price is seems steep for a stainless yanagi.

I dunno I'd go carbon on a yanagi. Though I have no experience with a stainless yanagi so what do I know?

I like MAC knives a lot, but I agree with the guys on this one. Gyuto, sure...yanagi, probably not.

Between the two I would go with the Kikuichi too, but I wouldn't pay what they're asking in the link you provided. Even half that price is seems steep for a stainless yanagi.

Has anyone got a MAC white steel yanagi?

Is this a a real knife in terms of the knives you guys like or is this a tourist type of knife ?
Bro,

We are knife nerds, in every capacity that you can define the word nerd. Don't worry about if it's a "real knife," conditioned upon us liking it, or if it's a "tourist" knife, conditioned upon criteria that are only important to us to begin with.

The best chefs in the world have never heard of us or the knives we like.

That said, I don't know why anyone would ever consider a stainless yanagiba. Chromium and it's related carbides are a detriment to your edge, and yanagiba have no purpose other than to support the absolute sharpest edge you can manage.

Welshstar, the MAC has a carbon edge, and I think it looks pretty sweet. Then again, I like the Mac's I own. Buy it, if you like it, from someone who will allow you to return it if necessary.
_

It looks like it is white steel with stainless cladding. However, with a single beveled knife that doesn't make a ton of sense since the bevel is massive. Therefore is the very top part of the blade above the bevel stainless? It sounds very odd to me and I don't understand why you would need a clad yanagi

Almost all yanagis are clad to save on manufacturing work, I presume. Why you'd want to use iron rather than stainless steel seems odd to me. I'd never use iron on anything if I had a choice.

Hi

I ended up buying the following, i wanted the Yanagi but also something heavier to match my Kikuchi Gyuto's, i ended up with this one because the handle just felt so much better, is it wrong to buy a knife based on how the handle feels ?. So i now have the 2 knives below, a 9.5 inch and 6 inch Kikuchi hammered Damascus and a 3 inch MAC Damascus paring knife. I didnt expect to but im really starting to like the MAC range, they are not the prettiest superficially but they just seem to fit my hands and balance so well. To complete my set I will ultimately add a serrated MAC and im thinking that im not done with Gyuto's and might end up with the MAC Ultimate as well.

Not sure if these are the best value choices but one of the things im picking up on very quickly is that you should never buy a knife based on looks, you have to pick it up and feel it to decide if it works.

http://www.macknife.com/kitchen/pro...lypage.pbv.v2.tpl&product_id=62&category_id=6

http://www.macknife.com/kitchen/pro...ypage.pbv.v2.tpl&product_id=86&category_id=38

Alan

My love for Jknives started with Mac. Although, now I use my Macs exclusively at home, and have higher ended knives at work, I still think they are terrific.

The best part of a Mac is that its already ground steep and thin for best performance, making it highly usable OOTB. And, the edge is simple to maintain and responds very well to ceramic rods.

In all, its a great start! Keep using 'em, and checking in on the forums, and in a couple of years, you'll surely own a few more great knives!

I have a MAC 9 1/2 chef's knife I thinned out (MBK-95) and I have been extremely pleased with it.

Back