What different about Slanted Spine Yanagi-Sashimi knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the description instead of having 90 degree corners between blade face and spine they've ground that corner off to add a facet. Makes it more comfortable to hold

I don't think they're referring to rounding the spine as they specifically term it slanted whereas they do state that the deba has a rounded spine.

I noticed this:
"Also on slanted spine Especially Yanagi series, we grinded the spine on a slant because delicate control by index finger is always required in using Yanagi. The slant helps the control very well. “Tojiro” is full of kindness and consideration for users."

I'd be curious to hear from any Yanagi users if having the spine slanted would help.

I would not get wrapped around the axle on translation "oddities". The English speaking world has certainly made it's share of gaffs when marketing product to non-English speakers. Seem to remember from school one of the US car makers marketing a car for overseas that translated meant "broken".

Don't know what purpose a rounded spine on Yanagiba or Deba would serve. Could go the other way. Many times if I miss an errant scale on the fish I'll flip the knife and use the spine to scrape. Other than that it's draw cuts.

BTW - That's first time I've ever seen Tojiro and expensive used together. :cool2:

Haha, thx Daveb, Most of tojiro product are budget and value for money, but they also have high range product, form $500 to a $1000.

I don't think they're referring to rounding the spine as they specifically term it slanted whereas they do state that the deba has a rounded spine.

I noticed this:
"Also on slanted spine Especially Yanagi series, we grinded the spine on a slant because delicate control by index finger is always required in using Yanagi. The slant helps the control very well. “Tojiro” is full of kindness and consideration for users."

I'd be curious to hear from any Yanagi users if having the spine slanted would help.
it could be the cheap yanagi (no specification to the spine) is 90* like most tojiro western knives, the deba are "rounded" like you might expect from a more expensive knife and the "slanted spine" yanagi I am willing to bet money is an "eased" spine (AFAIK this is a chamfer but a woodworker I am not).. ie more of a rough job than the rounded spine debas

My knife dealer replied:

This series is called "Sogimine".
This is designed with angle diagonally at the ridge so that you can control your power with the index finger.

Back