heldentenor's knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here's my small collection, which began when I dropped a Henckels Four Star onto a parking lot and snapped it in half, prompting me to find the old knife forums and then to land here.

Everyday Knives (also known as "girlfriend knives"):

(Henckels Cermax 8 inch gyuto and 5 inch petty, Shun 4 inch parer)

A Nenox w/Ironwood handle that I bought from Customfan:

My two single-bevel knives:

(Ichimongi Aoko 300 mm yanagi-ba and Kaneshige Ginsanko 270 mm deba)

And finally, my western custom makers:

(Michael Rader 52100 parer, Marko Tsourkan 225mm slicer/line knife, Dave Martell O1 240mm gyuto)

Not pictured: my Hiromoto aogami super 240mm gyuto with custom handle

Well, I've used it for precisely two meals now, but even with my mediocre skills it's a game changer. The geometry is really subtle, but basically it gives you the precision of a laser with the feedback and response of something more like a Shigefusa. The first time I used a Martell, Chuckles said that his made him want to do an all-soup menu so that he could brunoise vegetables all day with it. That's a pretty accurate depiction of this one, I think.

Well, I've used it for precisely two meals now, but even with my mediocre skills it's a game changer. The geometry is really subtle, but basically it gives you the precision of a laser with the feedback and response of something more like a Shigefusa. The first time I used a Martell, Chuckles said that his made him want to do an all-soup menu so that he could brunoise vegetables all day with it. That's a pretty accurate depiction of this one, I think.

Hah! I use the same comparison in my head as Chuckle's when I find that right gyuto fit. Hasn't happened that often. I'll have to take one of Dave's knives for a spin someday here.

Back