I did a little experimentation on this one, using a mix of about 80% walnut, 20% everything else. It's all end grain butcher block, and probably required 15 glue-ups or so. I started out by making 3 separate panels, and the final butcher block is probably 1/3 the size of those original panels... Lots of sawing = lots of size reduction. 20 minutes after we finished it, Oliver bought it. He graciously photographed it for us and gave us permission to use the pics. (courtesy El8ed Artists)
I have another, similar board that used maple as the base wood. I'll probably make a couple more of these. Kind of a fun project.