What did you do this week?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThEoRy

Founding Member
Reaction score
I fed over 10,000 people. What did you do?

Climbed a 2400M 7800 ft mountain, created a new dish for the restaurant I work at, apple and black tea risotto with bison sausage. Fed countless famillies, saw my first wild bear and sharpened a few coworkers knives. Even managed to take a nap Saturday, it was nice.

I saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Geico.

I butchered about 800# of brisket, made 80# of sausage from scratch, injected about 400# of pork butt, strained 70 gallons of meat inject (the damn filters on the industry sized meat injectors are a bit TOO fine IMO), watched both Fletch and Beverly Hills Cop, and drank about 30-40 beers and 4-5 shots of various anejos.

I fed over 10,000 people. What did you do?

I finished a masters degree at UCSD, sharpened a bunch of knives, bled some (yes, I'm an amateur), and spent the weekend hanging at a hotel on the beach with my wife.

spoke mostly japanese, ate out with a bunch of knifemakers from sakai, talked to about 5000 people, and showed visiting japanese people a restaurant in LA that serves better japanese food than what they could find at home ;)

I made bacon and pickles...built a SV chamber from an especially sturdy styrofoam container, which failed after being subjected to 170F for 48 hours...skinned 3 pork bellies...rebuilt a media server...rebuilt a HTPC...edited 20,000 lines of code...rode my bike 100 miles...and cooked a decent dinner every night of the week, tonight it was a soft, french-country style cheese omelette with hashbrowns, homemade bacon, and english muffins toasted on the griddle with ghee.

Last edited:
Hiked, biked and started making milk kefir. A nice week that pales in comparison to other posts:)

Yesterday did a funeral for 350, then a wedding for 150, then a private dinner for 45. Didn't use a knife.
Today went to the MN state fair, ate food on a stick, and drooled over pigs that were still alive.

Spent a couple of days with in-laws in Germany
Travelled back home
Set out a base for a 12ft by 8ft potting shed (on a slope so very awkward site)
Assembled a cement mixer, mended a hose reel, sharpened 4 knives
Helped unload a lorry, mowed the lawn (ride on, so that was lazy) and had some beers
Shoveled and mixed 3 cubic metres of concrete, barrowed it (with my wife) 70 metres to where we are putting her potting shed, laid the mix tamped and floated.
Set out and half built 2 large raised beds. Had a bonfire. Dug out two stumps.
Made mexican pulled pork for 4, plus 4 bolognese, 2 chicken pies, 4 shepherds pie, baked a loaf, went grocery shopping, wrote some letters, and did a couple of days work.
Frankly I need a holiday.

Went sport clay shooting for the first time. It was fun, 38 out of 50 my first time out. Shared my buddies over under 12 gauge shotgun. Now I want to buy a shotgun! If anyone have experience shooting sporting clay, i would love a recommendation for an auto shotgun.

Went sport clay shooting for the first time. It was fun, 38 out of 50 my first time out. Shared my buddies over under 12 gauge shotgun. Now I want to buy a shotgun! If anyone have experience shooting sporting clay, i would love a recommendation for an auto shotgun.

I purchased a used Remington 1100 after a friend who is much more knowledgeable than I recommended it. Pro's are that it's inexpensive used because they have been made since 1963, everyone has parts for them, and they are reliable. I have a 12 and 20ga.

@bill13 was looking at a jm pro 930 ... been reading that's a great starter shotgun. You think I should just get a Remy.

Really better japanese food in LA, who would have thought

@bill13 was looking at a jm pro 930 ... been reading that's a great starter shotgun. You think I should just get a Remy.

That looks like a nice gun too. I still vote for the 1100 because it's been around forever and there is a reason for that. It's a plain Jane simple to clean, repair, and get parts for. Here is a quickie review http://www.guns.com/review/2013/02/21/remington-1100-shotgun/

Mine is from the 80's looks almost new (inside and out) and I paid about 400. Two years of use and it's still worth 400 - I like that.

Joined a powerlifting gym, got sick, got better, fed some people, had my mind blown by a physiotherapist (my foot hurts because of my back), trimmed my beard and drank amazing wine twice.

You should jump in with a two holer. Superposed of course. If you've got to go semi then Beretta 391 is a good one thats quite popular on the range, on the duck pond, in the dove field. I skipped past the Remi's but have seen a few boatloads of them. Good guns but there's a reason every gun shop has parts for them.

Not uncommon to find good deals on used guns at the range. Clay shooters are more fickle than knife owners and will frequently go through several to find "The One".

That looks like a nice gun too. I still vote for the 1100 because it's been around forever and there is a reason for that. It's a plain Jane simple to clean, repair, and get parts for. Here is a quickie review http://www.guns.com/review/2013/02/21/remington-1100-shotgun/

Mine is from the 80's looks almost new (inside and out) and I paid about 400. Two years of use and it's still worth 400 - I like that.

Remington 11/87 Premier.......purchased in 1985, used as my main waterfowl/deer gun(as rifles are not allowed in NJ) has interchangeable screw in chokes, been using it on clays for over 10 years, never an issue..............1000's of rounds:doublethumbsup:

I purchased a used Remington 1100 after a friend who is much more knowledgeable than I recommended it. Pro's are that it's inexpensive used because they have been made since 1963, everyone has parts for them, and they are reliable. I have a 12 and 20ga.

I have the 11-87, about 3k rounds through it w/o a single malfunction (including a fairly grueling class in the AZ desert that caused my 1911 to jam 24 times in a single day). It's just an updated version of the 1100.

Plus one on the 11/87. For a starter I'd also look at an 870 wingmaster. No frills but a great gun for the dough.

Did a smoked butt at work, bought some knives and swam in the ocean...a bunch.

Cooked with a friend at james beard house on Monday , had my first 2 michelin star lunch at marea, saw 2 of my boys pushing some food at Lupulo in NYC, came back home to 2 meetings about various of projects coming up , travelled DC to submit paperwork for my passport, did 3000 covers in 4 days , had the best week ever at the restaurant in terms of revenue 100k++ all while figuring out a menu for a demo at whole foods and talking one over with the team for cystic Fibrosis event here in Baltimore at the Four seasons .This week was pretty epic in terms of **** done for sure.

BTW theory always starts the nicest threads!!

Latest posts

Back