Rust eraser or rust removing solution ?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneS

Reaction score
Have noticed a couple of browny spots on the edge of my trusty Hiromoto AS santoku, presumably from imperfect drying before replacing in magnetic knife block. I noticed that rust erasers and rust removing solution are available to address these. Both products seem about the same price delivered to Oz. Anyone have an opinion which I should get ?

The rust erasers work well for me as does Bar Keepers Friend scouring powder. No experience with solution - does it have same ???? acid in it that BKF has?

Didn't know about BKF, Dave, so thanks for that advice. Does the rust eraser 'scratch' out the rust (in which case some polishing of the knife is required after) ? If so, I have a picture in my head that a solution that 'rubs' out the rust, and hence is less abrasive, requires no or much less touching up after.

I am in no means an expert but I just started using rust erasers. I believe they are similar to stones but use rubber as a binder to make it softer and more flexible. I found it is essential to use the rust eraser with the grain of the knife as even the so called "fine grit" rust erasers leave scratches (i use Masamoto brand ones)...it does remove rust well though.

I found the "scratches", even though minimal, annoying so I ended up having to polish the blade with various grit wet/dry sandpaper after.

Make sure you get a good quality one too. I originally tried the free rust eraser that came with my Yoshihiro camellia oil and it left huge scratches.

For light rust I use toothpaste which I rub on the rust spots with a paper towel. For medium rust I do the same but with mud from a high-grit stone.

Great advice chaps. I will try Damage's toothpaste method first and see if I can get away with not buying more 'stuff' .Bar keeper's friend is the next chea[st method suggested so far (but I dunno why I am obsessing about $10-20 when I am happy blowing hundreds on yet another knife....) From your comments I am thinking more ingrained rust spots will need scratching off. Let's hope I can mostly avoid having to do this in the future !

Light use of 0000 steel wool is all that is needed.

Steel wool is certainly a 'home remedy' that sounds promising. I will try that as well if the toothpaste doesn't shift it. Many thanks.

BKF works great, and doesn't mar your knife. Just sprinkle a dash into the sink, a little water and lightly rub out the rust with a small piece of paper towel or even just your finger. The stuff is also great for cleaning stainless steel cookware (most well known use), but even a great general cleaner for kitchen and bathroom. $2 buys a huge can of this stuff and the one I have at home had lasted me years.

Haven't seen BKF in the shops here, but will keep an eye out for it; it isn't as cheap ordered on the net, but also sounds promising. Thanks Richard.

Do you save the leftover mud from sharpening things on waterstones? I dip a piece of paper towel into water and then into (the dried) mud, and rub that into knives with rust spots. It might not work well for big spots though.

Ryann, I have only used a cheap Tojiro 2-sided 1000/3000 for sharpening so there seems little mud to use. However, I am getting a Shapton Pro 3-set for Father's Day so perhaps I may get more from them.

Mmm I suspect you'd end up making a lot of scratches...

i have been using the eraser i got for free from metalmaster when ordering a tanaka. it is now almost completely worn out so i need a replacement. any particular one i should be looking at? i didn't even know you are supposed to soak them in water until i watched jon's video on rust erasers..

this one looks pretty big, can i take it and cut it into slices so that i can use one piece at a time? and also it will fit neatly in pocket of knife bag.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008UYAJY0/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you save the leftover mud from sharpening things on waterstones? I dip a piece of paper towel into water and then into (the dried) mud, and rub that into knives with rust spots. It might not work well for big spots though.

Josh at Bernal Cutlery, whose shop sharpens and restores dozens of knives a day, does something like this. He has red mechanics rags which he wads into tight balls, then uses to wipe mud off blades. After a while these are pretty much permanently impregnated with stone mud and serve as really effective rust removers/polishers.

For severe rust, Barkeepers Friend will work, but it's an acid and will (lightly) etch the blade.

My knives always start to rust immediately after using BKF. Because of this I use a rust eraser but it's not ideal since it leaves light scratches... it seems to be the better of the two options though.

i always do a quick baking soda scrub after using bkf and haven't had issues

I buy Bon Ami powder (around $1 at Walmart). Sprinkle some on the wet blade and rub with tissue paper. Works in seconds like a charm,

Back