Usuba, Nakiri Question

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackslimpson

Reaction score
In another thread we were asked what improvements in knife design would we like to see. I suggested a slight radius on the heal. Few do, and given the keeness of the edges on the knives most talked about and featured around here, the heal is left with a needle-like quality that just seems unnecessary.

I notice, though, the tip of most nakiri and usuba have a slight radius, in addition to an abrupt upsweep from the rest of the edge (kamagata usuba, from what I've seen, do not have this quality, and appear to be dead flat all along the edge, leaving a sharp right-angle right at the tip, not unlike the heal).

So, the question: what is the theory behind the rounded tip of most nakiri and usuba? Does any idea behind the design implicate anything for the heal?

Cheers,

Jack

IIRC, the difference is a product of regional knife-making practices in Japan.

I have seen videos where the rounded tip is used for slight rocking. Can also be used to help with push cut/rock cut. Not the best way to use a nakiri, but helpful non the less.

My first full size cleaver was flat with a sharp point at both ends...as a new cleaver user I had a most difficult time with push cuts as it would 'catch' on the tip...perhaps this is just for people like me who lack technique? I highly doubt it, but a pointy tip that is not raised is difficult to work with so maybe?

BTW, I too am bothered by a pointy heel (too many ouches) and usually ease mine a bit.

I use the pointy heel on many knives regularity for little things like taking the tops of strawberries and tomatoes off

Agree, I like the heel pointy. I've had my Takamura r2 150mm petty "sink" into a finger basically under the weight of the knife and I still like the point.
Yup! Only takes one or two to learn ya :shocked3:

TBH I've only ever heeled myself with a knife when playing with something brand new ootb. Otherwise I don't have a lot of problem with the heel on a knife so long as the blade is heavy or long enough not to spin around on the cutting board (ie. mac chef series 180mm is handle heavy, spins like a damned dreidle when coworkers fart in the wrong direction-- utter nuisance)

Wouldn't rounding the heel lead to accordion cuts too? Especially on a nakiri/usuba where you've not got a hell of a lot of length to work with in the first place??

Wouldn't rounding the heel lead to accordion cuts too? Especially on a nakiri/usuba where you've not got a hell of a lot of length to work with in the first place??

I thought people were just talking about that very sharp corner at the heel--just that last millimeter or so. No appreciable loss in length.
My pointy heels often snag the towel when I dry them off.

Back