Western Composite 180mm Gyuto - Amber/Gold/Rosewood burl... WIP

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillC

Reaction score
I have this extra piece from the Composite damascus sets. This is a 180mm Gyuto build. I decided to do something a bit different and make use of some young amber, not really old enough to be amber, so I experimented by powdering it and casting with marine grade epoxy resin. With this I plan on using some pale green whitish cow horn, which is fairly translucent, and using gold leaf in-between which will show through the pale sections of horn in a subtle way and add more colour to the amber.

Planned materials minus gold leaf....

Here is the epoxy cast amber...

With gold leaf in between the amber and bone, you can see reflections of the gold....

So to the handle build, the wood is premium stabilised rosewood burl....

Shaping starting with profile.....

Sizing,

Damascus front cap will be tapered in at the front this time...

Beginning the 3 dimensional shaping...

Tapered in front...

Coat of epoxy over the top of the amber/resin..

With some gold leaf for good measure:)

Final shaping of handle..

Quick polish and test assembly, Amber resin looks a bit too dirty after buffing so will be giving one more finish through the grits with micro mesh...... getting there though....Blade now fully finished...

This piece will be in store after I add the finishing touches to the handle.

Be sure to subscribe to my mailing list for notifications.

Thanks All :)

Thanks Huw! The Amber and gold leaf was a fun experiment. I got as much gold leaf stuck to my fingers as the horn :)
Handle on this one is removable too as the last pair were.

This should be on display somewhere Will . Holy Sh!!. I'm all in for the western handles you're doing.

Oh. Oh my. That handle is nothing short of spectacular art! Your innovation with materials is wonderful!

Wow! Will, that's a wild and impressive piece. Great work! It's nice to see your process for that handle style as well.

Latest posts

Back