Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need help conceptualizing

Quote Originally Posted by cnochef View Post
    That's exactly what I was going to suggest! Only around these parts we call them Sichuan green onion cakes, as long as we're talking about the same thing. They don't have to be greasy either, just brush them with oil rather before frying.
    They don't really get crispy and yummy unless you use a fair amount of oil, almost pan frying. It will get tough if you just brush it, no?

Noodles, maybe soba?
    Bert M.

Why?! Because footballs don't have wheels!

Quote Originally Posted by BertMor View Post
    They don't really get crispy and yummy unless you use a fair amount of oil, almost pan frying. It will get tough if you just brush it, no?
    I've never had that problem at all. I brush oil on them, cook over medium heat on a cast iron griddle, covered with a pot lid for most of the cooking time so that they get steamed inside before they get dry.

green tea soba noodles

keep in mind, these people who will be judging your dish will be looking for a number of criteria. Not a good time to experiment, as a few of those criteria will surely be execution of product, and skill level of your dish. Better to do simple done right, then a poorly executed dish that tries too hard to impress.

Quote Originally Posted by goodchef1 View Post
    keep in mind, these people who will be judging your dish will be looking for a number of criteria. Not a good time to experiment, as a few of those criteria will surely be execution of product, and skill level of your dish. Better to do simple done right, then a poorly executed dish that tries too hard to impress.
    Exactly my thinking. Besides, i am not going to be hired to create. That's the boss's job.....
    Bert M.

What about being able to recreate the dish on a larger catering size scale? Is that a factor in how these will be evaluated?

If one of them is a much bigger pita than the other (especially when you have to make 100, or 300, all at once) maybe go with with slightly less impressive but easier to crank out starch (I would think the fried rice would be a winner in that department). Also, I am not saying the noodle cake or taro is impossible to pull off for a catering event, just something else to consider.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Quote Originally Posted by BertMor View Post
    Exactly my thinking. Besides, i am not going to be hired to create. That's the boss's job.....
    i'm not a pro cook and have never interviewed for a kitchen job, but i get this feeling that if you're doing 2 dishes one could be to reproduce something from their menu? what is the common knowledge on that?
    -thiago

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    What about being able to recreate the dish on a larger catering size scale? Is that a factor in how these will be evaluated?

If one of them is a much bigger pita than the other (especially when you have to make 100, or 300, all at once) maybe go with with slightly less impressive but easier to crank out starch (I would think the fried rice would be a winner in that department). Also, I am not saying the noodle cake or taro is impossible to pull off for a catering event, just something else to consider.
    Good question. I don't know. I am approaching it that way though. If its too simple, at least my technique and flavor will be spot on...
    Bert M.

I am not a chef or even a decent home cook, but in the context of a big catering gig, I would be worried about things like fried cakes. How are they going to hold up on the steam table, chafing dish or under the little culinary tanning lamp?

Quote Originally Posted by ******* View Post
    I am not a chef or even a decent home cook, but in the context of a big catering gig, I would be worried about things like fried cakes. How are they going to hold up on the steam table, chafing dish or under the little culinary tanning lamp?
    On wire racks over sheetpans held in hot boxes that are heated with sterno
    Bert M.