Adding a new stone to my collection?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richard

Reaction score
I've been pretty happy with the stones I have at the moment, but after reading the sharpening forums, getting curious if I should be trying out other stones (you know how that goes).

My current standard progression is a Shapton M15 1000x, followed by Naniwa SS 5000. The Naniwa is soft, but after adjusting/improving my technique, gouging isn't really a problem for me anymore. Personally, I don't find a problem with "runny edges", i.e. not having enough toothiness but to be honest I don't have something to compare it with side-by-side. I do like the nice polish left by the Naniwa and the convenience of splash-and-go.

So I'm thinking of either getting an Arashiyama 6000x as an alternative to the Naniwa SS 5000, or instead I've thought of getting a Kitayama 8000x and change my progression to 1000x -> Naniwa SS 5000 -> Naniwa SS 10000 -> Kitayama. (I already have the Naniwa SS 10000, but I don't usually use it...only to really polish bevels behind the edge, or I'll sometimes go up to the 10000, but then finish up with a few strokes back down on the 5000 to not leave too fine an edge)

However, I'm wondering if going the Kitayama route is appropriate for me since I'm not using single bevel knives or yanagiba. My knives are yo-knives, typically VG-10 to SG-2, but also AEB-L (Zwilling Kramer Essential). Anyway your thoughts would be greatly appreciated, or if you think I'm fine already with what I have, that's worth hearing too. Thanks.

I would always say to buy another stone just to try something new...that said, if you're happy with your edges, why change?

Question I would ask is, are you maximizing the stones you currently use? In other words, how good is your technique? If you feel that you can't get any better edges with your current selection then I would definitely try something different...there are plenty of great stones available.

Richard, There are several great stones out there but strongly consider the Takenono 8K. Absolutely amazing as a strop for non-carbon knives (which is my most of my kit). I did a demo of it at the 2015 ECG this year and I think everyone agreed that it leaves the perfect balance between refined and toothy. I'll go from a 6K JKI Diamond to the Takenono, using a few light strokes (to put the microlevel on) and for maintenance its the King in my house. Its very thick, comes on a nice wood base and is medium hard.

Maybe Dave will chime in.

http://www.japaneseknifesharpeningstore.com/Takenoko-sharpening-stone-8000x-8k-p/tak8000.htm

Thanks all for the input. I put it an order for the Arashiyama/Takenoko today and also a 30x loupe...hoping to take my sharpening ability to the next level!

I always get confused about the Arashiyama, recalling that it goes by another name. Thanks. Anyway, I have had the Arashiyama for a long while and also used loads of naturals, and the odd times that I have a chance to pull out the Arashiyama I always still like it. Yeah, and as MuchoB said, I remember it being good for stropping. In fact, in earlier days when I was reading about all the various non-stone stropping ways people liked - your balsas and diamonds, etc - I didn't quite get it, because just using a stone seemed great, so why all the fuss.

Was just a lucky purchase on my part in Japan; not knowing anything, I asked for a recommendation in a good knife/stone shop, and this was it. So consider that another rec.

Not really important for most, but Arashiyama's a nice area of Kyoto, with Atago (Stone Mt) looming nearby (and Arashiyama's another mountain opposite too). I guess the nat-stone associations are behind the stone's name.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you used a loupe before? I tried going with a 30x and the focal point was just too close to the lens, it required having the knife almost touching my face.

But I like having knives up against my face... :detective:

Joking aside, I guess I will find out how user friendly it is. I was looking at getting a cheap 20x loupe when an Amazon reviewer said that particular model he didn't like and after ordering a bunch, he found the 30x/60x one I got the one that he liked. There is a 30x for sale over at CKTG and reviews haven't mentioned that issue...

Received the Arashiyama (aka Takenoko) stone yesterday. Haven't played with it a whole lot, but I used it to polish up the edge on a couple of already sharp knives of mine. I do like the edge left behind by the Arashiyama. I suppose it's possibly psychological on my part, but I do think from a cutting a tomato and the rolled-up magazine page sharpness test that the edge is slightly toothier than the edge left behind by the Naniwa SS 5000 and is improved. I will say that coming from the Naniwa, which is much softer and easily gouged, it was a refreshing change working with the Arashiyama in that regard. It feels a little bit like the Shapton M15 1000 that I have. And I do like the thickness and size, and the wood base is very nice and it doesn't slide around on my counter much like the Naniwa plastic bases (I end up having to lay down a damp paper towel or a piece of shelf liner for more friction). Another plus is that the Arashiyama dries quickly and doesn't need a ton of water, and I can easily see why it's such a good stropping/touch-up stone.

Mucho (or others with experience with this stone): is the Arashiyama/Takenoko a good stone to progress to straight after sharpening on a 1000x medium stone? Or should I continue onto my Naniwa SS 5000 first and then to this stone? I'm curious how the edge will be different if I change up the stone progression. Instead of using my Naniwa SS 5000 as an intermediate stone, I also have an Ohishi 1000/3000 combo stone that I could use.

Richard, Good to hear the stone is working for you. I used to polish blades to a very refined finish but my edges didn't last very long. Then Justin helped me understand if you want a long lasting edge, that will cut multiple tomatoes, "you just want to put little teeth on the bigger teeth."

In other words, after you've established a clean, toothy even edge (my last progression is a 6K JKI Diamond stone, but I've been successful jumping from a 1000 JKI D-Stone too), then use the Takenono as a strop--wet or dry.

You'll have more control and it will polish faster wet, but dry, you'll be able to kiss/graze the stone, leaving little-er teeth on the big teeth. I hope makes sense.

For me where the T shines is in maintenance and for establishing/maintaining a microlevel. After the 6K, I'll debur with some sort of felt, then I perform four light strop strokes on the right side of the knife, then one on the left, stropping at a higher angle than you sharpened.

Back