What's your most TEDIOUS prep?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jklip13

Reaction score
Here's mine
v7dp4n.jpg

Celery Katsuramuki

Either carrots or tomatoes. Or, goddamnit, both on the same day. Sometimes I can save them for the prep cooks, other times they've just got to be done... and I'm the Sous Shmuck doing them.

Over, and over, and over.

katsuramuki and various mukimono work were always the most tedious for me back in the day

I have always hated peeling shallots. And have always struggled with shelling boiled quails eggs. Nowadays I only cook at home though, so I enjoy everything.

Stemming and de-seeding roasted poblano peppers. Discovered a bowl of water works great for getting the seeds off your hands and the pepper.

Picking crab. Haven't found a good technique for cleaning the bodies. I've got a decent leg technique though.

Stemming and de-seeding roasted poblano peppers. Discovered a bowl of water works great for getting the seeds off your hands and the pepper.

Picking crab. Haven't found a good technique for cleaning the bodies. I've got a decent leg technique though.

Dried peppers for me. Or fresh criolla sella peppers.

The best technique for picking blue crab bodies is making good friends with someone that owns a picking house and buying well priced jumbo lump. Unless I'm eating crabs for fun, picking the bodies is a job to be outsourced.

Mini hors size phyllo anything......spanikopita, herbed goat chz.......ugggh......phyllo.

dude, uragoshi. It took me 5 hours once to get a giant pot of azuki beans through.
also,
there's this crazy seaweed can't remember what its called but its super goopy teeny tiny strands like hair and you have to clean out baby shrimps the size of needle heads. that sucked the worst maybe.

MOZUKU!!!!
Ask Odo-san about that stuff, see if he'll get some for you to clean for fun.

+1 for cleaning mussels. Such a terrible job but a single grain of sand just ruins everything.

I also just absolutely hate peeling small potatoes. And jerusalem artichokes.

Here's mine
v7dp4n.jpg

Celery Katsuramuki

Also, I should try this. I'm always trying to sneak raw celery into things in a non offensive way. Little slivers of this with some sort of anchovy dressing, maybe on some pork?

hmmm every commis job. but if I had to pick one, a deli of fines herbs tips.

Cleaning basil. It's a nightmare trying to get rid of all the dirt

When I was doing protein prep, splitting 50+ lobsters a day (body, claw and knuckle), killed me.

Back