Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: What's your most TEDIOUS prep?

Did a stage a few weeks ago, they made me peel and than fine brunoise (1mm x 1mm) 500 grm of garlic, I have never in my life hated a job so much, I don't know how long it took me(it was awhile) but they offered me a job and I kindly refused lol. no man should have to do that.

La bonne cuisine est la base du véritable bonheur. -August Escoffier

Quote Originally Posted by Godslayer View Post
    Did a stage a few weeks ago, they made me peel and than fine brunoise (1mm x 1mm) 500 grm of garlic, I have never in my life hated a job so much, I don't know how long it took me(it was awhile) but they offered me a job and I kindly refused lol. no man should have to do that.
    Sounds stinky

A good knives wont make you better, only practice will, a good knife should make you practice.

That's a good job for a mandolin and cut glove ;-)
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

Interesting. What knife did you go with for that task? I just rock chop the crap outta garlic until minced.

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    Interesting. What knife did you go with for that task? I just rock chop the crap outta garlic until minced.
    no rock chopping, the brunoise had to be perfect(near perfect), apparently the texture mattered, no idea what they used if for, any semi-reasonable company that needed that amount would normally just buy pre-minced in a bottle(sysco sells 5kg 11 lbs for like $38cad pre minced) I ended up using a 150mm takamura uchigumo petty, I don't honestly think I could do the volume they wanted with a full size gyuto and maintain consistency of cuts. Looking back the only logical conclusion was they were testing me, but it was such a horrid task, peeling and brunoising all the garlic most likely took close to an hour, if not an hour(say 150ish cloves, peeled and bruunoised), that come the end of it, I didn't want to work there anymore.
    La bonne cuisine est la base du véritable bonheur. -August Escoffier

no rock chopping, the brunoise had to be perfect(near perfect), apparently the texture mattered, no idea what they used if for, any semi-reasonable company that needed that amount would normally just buy pre-minced in a bottle(sysco sells 5kg 11 lbs for like $38cad pre minced) I ended up using a 150mm takamura uchigumo petty, I don't honestly think I could do the volume they wanted with a full size gyuto and maintain consistency of cuts. Looking back the only logical conclusion was they were testing me, but it was such a horrid task, peeling and brunoising all the garlic most likely took close to an hour, if not an hour(say 150ish cloves, peeled and bruunoised), that come the end of it, I didn't want to work there anymore.

Unfortunately I have been in a similar situation and it was the damn stickiness that was mind-numbing. A touch of water now and again did help, but god save you if you have to do this with any regularity. DAAAAAmmmmnnnn. Glad you didn't take the gig.
    Long live Carbon!!

Past lengthy prep includes Jerusalem artichokes, round croutons, tomato string.

@Godslayer at least I don't feel quite as inept cursing how much work mortar curry paste prep (for home cooking use - still, a head of garlic goes in usually, and saving knife work is paid in more bashing work ) is ...

Was this for a lot of dipping sauce for asian dumplings? Only application that comes to my mind for 1mm brunoised garlic in large amounts...