Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: What's your most TEDIOUS prep?

prepping ebi for nigirizushi every day. though jklip looks like he works for a real sadist. I would love to join.

Blue skies over bad lands

Quote Originally Posted by jklip13 View Post
    It took about an hour to do 45 of these, each flour hand cut then threaded on pine needles
    You work at Kajitsu? Had a wonderful meal there about a month ago (really loved the gobo with this dish). Thanks for your work!

(or maybe staging there, based on your location?)

Really glad you enjoyed it! I'm in NYC now , I should really change my location
    A good knives wont make you better, only practice will, a good knife should make you practice.

Toss up between 5kg of mussels of 5kg of baby squid daily...

any old style cold canapes... nothing 5#1Ts me more than making hundreds of something that has multiple components (like 3 toppings and a garnish on melba toast), for a pretentious black and white affair, then watching them get scoffed down in one mouthful followed by champagne chasers... like *** did you even taste what you just ate, dont forget to send a thank you bottle of anything that will surprise me back to the kitchen as a thank you for the party in your mouth.

On the regular, broad beans, peas, and canapes
    Past lengthy prep includes Jerusalem artichokes, round croutons, tomato string
    Two things that are fun but also pains in the arse are pheasant butchery, and handcut tartare (particularly if the cut is shite)
    slowly, gently, big stick

Too often agreeing as a last minute fill in when the cook/chef died, crashed, sick, had a baby, you know the drill and showing up to an unfamiliar kitchen trying to figure out how the hell they EVER worked in such a freakin' disaster zone. Now That is what I call "tedious prep." Daaaaaamn.
    Long live Carbon!!

Always wonder how you pros get around the "garlic doesn't scale" problem (chop up a clove, all dandy ... chop up ten heads and your hands are sticking even to the teflon pans once you unburied them from all the peels that are just going everywhere) without spending more time washing hands and cleaning away debris than prepping garlic

Administrator
    Life - Gal of peeled cloves into the robocoup. Easy day.
    Older and wider..

I'd say some of the more tedious stuff I do at home is breaking down/deboning and removing the tendons from wild turkey thighs and drums