Howdy from Texas

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thom

[Exemplary Сasual Dating Verified Women]
Banned
Reaction score
So I am a foodie and a basic wood worker. I love knives and what can be done to make them look better and work better. I bought a couple of kits and have kind of been afraid to but the handles on. However, my lovely wife melted the handle on a Wursthoff paring knife she really liked. Made me buy her a new one and was going to throw the melted one away. Hmmm, I don't think so.

Out to the garage it went and I sanded and pulled the old handle material off. It has a nice little bolster so I left it and cut a piece of thick brass and a maple block. I drilled out the maple for the hidden tang and mixed up a load of epoxy and glued it all together. The next day I ran it through the band saw to take off the excess and then to the sander for rough shaping. A couple of hours later I had a new knife. I happened to have some Bees Oil for cutting boards so I slathered that one a half dozen times and my new knife smells like honey.

Decided to give it to my daughter in college who loves to cook.

I'll add pics as soon as i figure out how to become a supporting member.

Welcome Thom!
You don't have to be a supporting member to post pics. Just upload to a photo sharing sit like photobucket. Copy the img code and paste when prompted via the forum software.
Looking forward to seeing your handiwork!

So I will try adding photos.

After removing the melted material
2015-09-04%2017.20.37.jpg

After the glue-up with the hunk of brass and maple block
2015-09-04%2017.20.18.jpg

The finished product
2015-09-08%2009.29.06.jpg

My boo-boo finger
2015-09-05%2009.50.21.jpg

Welcome Thom!
You don't have to be a supporting member to post pics. Just upload to a photo sharing sit like photobucket. Copy the img code and paste when prompted via the forum software.
Looking forward to seeing your handiwork!

hmmm, not working. I am using Dropbox and the images don't preview or show up.

Back