Travel knife?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterm

Reaction score
What do you guys use as a knife when traveling on vacation? I just came back and the ones there were very poor - made cutting anything a royal chore and really reduces any desire I have to cook. I figured that, at least when I'm bringing check on, I'd wrap up a knife and bring it along too, but not sure I want to bring one of the ones I actually like in case it gets lost, plus who knows what glass cutting boards would do to it. So any particular cheap knives you recommend?

I take my girls Kuhn Rikon chef when we travel and I'm worried about it getting lost. Though sometimes I travel with the full Gamut, I just can't help myself.

It hasn't occurred to me to take my own knives when traveling, butt now that you mention it, I think I would take the old Forschner chefs. The edge can always be touched up on the bottom of a cup or bowl. Although I could replace it for 30 bucks or so, the sedimental value is inestimable!

I use an 8-inch Forschner and an epicurean cutting board when I travel. Not fancy, but expendable.

On another note, if I were to go camping, this knife seems intriguing.

Santoku Folder

I wouldn't necessarily buy it and the knuckle clearance is non-existant, but that can be worked around. Someone should come up with a folder kitchen knife with knuckle clearance.

k.

I'm with you, Drinky. My 8" Forschner never leaves my bag.

Here's what's in my BBQ bag

8" Forschner
Tojiro Suji
Misono Swedish suji (240mm)
Konosuke (sp?) petty
Wusthof 10" chef's knife
wusthof poultry shears
idahone rod
A couple of white handled Baker's and Chef's cheapos for cutting cryovac bags and such

Depending on the traveling, I take something stainless with a saya. My konosuke suji has seen some good work in the past while on vacation.

I take my old Sabatier "peasant knife" everywhere, a basic Opinel folder with carbon blade is another good one.

I generally take a Glestain 240 and a Masahiro 150 petty on road trips but if I had to check it in, I'd probably take an old Tojiro 270 (these days 260 mm) suji and a Henckels parer. I also have an old (40+yrs), cheap Sabatier that got me through college. It's pretty much retired now and I wouldn't want to lose that one anyway.

When I traveled earlier this year, I brought along a Takeda banno bunko - but I suppose a santoku or 180 gyuto would have done just as well. I ended up using a thin stack of printer paper as my cutting board.

i've now started bringing a king 1k/6k stone on plane trips, which allows me to get most abused and forgotten knives ready to work. that way i don't event have to think about checking bags, lost luggage, etc. i've been thinking that a 1k glass stone could be a better choice due to size and not requiring soaking, at the expense of the 6k.

when i travel by car i usually bring a 210mm tojiro dp and a 12x18 sanituff.

is it so wrong that i just reach into one of my knife drawers and just grab whatever :p ... its usually a wa-gyuto in the 210-270mm size

For international trips, I take a Kiwi santoku ($6) and Kuhn-Rikon parer w/ sheath ($10) in case the damn things get confiscated by customs. For domestic trips, I pack my Masahiro MV-series 210mm gyuto which has excellent edge retention and plenty of knuckle-clearance, and the Kuhn-Rikon parer.

3" Kershaw Leek straight edge folder. Only thing it sucks at is slicing big loaves of bread, and bread is better when you tear it apart anyways. :D

I keep a Tosagata Satsumabocho :scratchhead: that I got from JWW years ago along with a Forschner 6" boning, a small serrated parer, and an ancient Lamson 10" chefs knife rolled up in a towel especially for those spur of the moment road trips.

And a Gerber Mk II, just in case.

Back