Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tojiro Powder Steel

Tojiro Powder Steel

Picked up this blade couple months ago from James in Australia. Some impressions. Paid around 150.00 shipped from down under. That is a good price for the Tojiro powder.

When I first held it seemed on the heavy side at 8.83oz. I sharpened it raised a burr easy on Gesshin 4K. As began using it this knife started to grow on me. It has a really fine convex grind with the extra weight just falls through food. Edge retention is excellent.

The Akifusa was sharper OOTB. Tojiro JMO has better grind and is thinner behind the edge. I am not expert enough to tell difference between SRS-15 & Tojiro powder, both are excellent stainless.

Have been a long time fan of Tojiro Stainless cleavers they have great grinds. Not so much with the cheap carbon blades that can come thick as a brick. Always thought the DP was OK good intro to Japan blades.

If you don't mind a little weight this is a much better blade than DP. Does not need any modifications is a very good cutter with perfect balance joy to cut with.

Potential alternative to Takamura

Thanks for the confirmation of the convex grind, I was not quite sure of that.

I've been looking at that knife for a couple of days now.

James was nice enough to post comparison shots between the DP and the PS in his subforum:
    http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...ometry-f-amp-f

Even with shipping and import, the knife would be cheaper than a Takamura R2 in most places. The main differences I can point to would be the weight, Takamura only coming in at 160g vs a bit over 200g vor the Tojiro. Plus, the Tojiro HSPS should be thicker in the spine.

Do you by any chance have any laser to compare the Tojiro to (Takamura, Ashi / Gesshin, Suisin, Konosuke, etc)???

Thanks for sharing!
    PC

Have owned plenty laser type blades Sakai Yusuke special thin, Gesshin Ginga. Used Masamoto and Konosuke carbons at work. I like thin knives. Also a place for beefy gyuto's always had one in my kit.

This blade is thin behind the edge where it counts. Tojiro got it right with this knife.

I have a couple of Tojiro PS blades, a 240 and 300 gyutou picked up twelve or so years ago when they and powder steels were the newest, latest and greatest flavor of the moment. I liked them then. I still like them a lot, although admittedly, they've both been drawer queens for quite some time. I think the general impression of Tojiro as being a maker of somewhat pedestrian, utilitarian blades with somewhat loose fit and finish really harmed them in the long run, along with the belief that super hard steels are chippy. I never found them lacking in either department, although the 240 benefited from a bit of thinning behind the edge. Oddly, despite the fact that neither has been in active rotation for a while, I would hesitate to part with either one if I were to thin my extended kit. I will attest to the fact that they do lose that initial fresh off the stones sharpness fairly quickly, but they hold a very usable level of sharpness for a very long time.

Miles 12 years ago only used carbon knives. Since joining this forum have ventured into quality stainless. Agree Tojiro knives for most part are more pedestrian. I have felt that their kitchen knives were not anywhere as good as their stainless cleavers.

Now I know they make a good Stainless Gyuto too.

This was a really helpful and timely review! With 3 kids under the age of 5, my knife budget is pretty small

I only cook at home, so it's difficult to justify spending a great deal of money on knives. Even so, life is short, and working with a well made tool is one of life's small pleasures. I've decided to upgrade the Calphalon knives that I bought 12 years but I don't want to break the bank. I like to keep them shaving sharp, but the steel is so poor, it's a constant battle.

The Tojiro F-521 is a bit more than I can afford to spend, but it's within reach. It's always great to hear about a first rate knife available on a small budget.

Sorry to revive an old thread but does anyone know what the core steel in these is? I'll be sharpening one every few months. I assume that it'll have largish carbides and will need a generous angle to aviod carbide pull out? Or maybe a right micro bevel at about 40 degrees?
    You may find yourself in a beautiful house, with a beautiful knife
    You may ask yourself, well, how did I get here?

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    Sorry to revive an old thread but does anyone know what the core steel in these is? I'll be sharpening one every few months. I assume that it'll have largish carbides and will need a generous angle to aviod carbide pull out? Or maybe a right micro bevel at about 40 degrees?
    My bet is on SG2/R2. A while back, I saw a few vendors on rakuten advertise it as such

Thanks James. I thought that R2/SG2 was the best bet. I was planning to sharpen like R2 if I did not get any more specific information.
    You may find yourself in a beautiful house, with a beautiful knife
    You may ask yourself, well, how did I get here?

Nemo - glad you got an answer. Now I have a question for you: What on earth is "carbide pull out"? Sorry if that's a dumb one. I saw an explanation about carbide grains being pulled out of a metal matrix but I'd like a KKF friendly explanation please. Carbide 101 so to speak.