Polishing buffalo horn

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asteger

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has a recommendation on the ideal grit/sandpaper for polishing buffalo horn? I've done it before and got the right sheen, and so I know there's a certain grit that works well but I've since run out and can't remember. I've done a few handles with #600 recently but it's left the horn hazy-looking and I guess I need something finer. (#600 bought in Japan; #600 probably means the same elsewhere, but not sure.) Thanks for any recs on what to get.

Just go up in the grit until you feel satisfied.
For a horn something around 1500-2000 grit would probably be my limit, but if you went higher you'll have a smoother and more glossy surface. After 6k grit it would be so shiny that it might hurt your eyes :)

I would go to at least 2000. If you're already at 600 it only takes a few minutes to go to 1200 then 2000. After 2000 I use 4,2, and 1 micron 3M polishing cloths, but I'm just kinda anal that way.

Be well,
Mikey

I used the fritz green liquid polish
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000AXNJS/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
as follows;
1. shake the bottle well
2. pour some amount of the liquid on a cotton clothe like a throw-away underwear
3. just wrap buffalo horn part of a handle with the clothe
4. grab 3 in between thumb and index finger of your right hand
5. hold your knife handle with your left hand while twisting your right hand. ^^
I got the same level of shine that I normally see with a Shigefusa default ho-wood handle ferrule.
Note that your right hand will be numb for some time though. :)
Please modify the method with your imagination...the liquid polish worked for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, all, for the 3 tips above. mkriggen, I'll probably end up with a new selection and follow the grits upwards like you do, although I also don't mind if my knives look a bit banged around too so I don't need the polish perfect. Hadn't thought of the fritz idea either, a product I haven't tried.

Just as a side note: I burned on 2 handles this evening and included some beeswax in the handle hole (to strengthen the handle and protect against rust - see youtube) and of course there was the usual amount of hot molten wax flowing out making a mess, and I got to thinking about handle sanding and buffalo horn and wood sanding again.

I couldn't find a picture to link to, but perhaps others have seen images of decade or 2-decadge old, heavily used yanagiba, with worn down repeatedly sanded handles - so worn that they end up with this hourglass shape where it's hard to imagine how wood still survives around the tang, while of course the shinogi looks destined to rendezvous with the spine within the week.

Anyway, my theory is that pro yanagi users in Japan sand their handles a) for 'hygene' and 2) with the wood fresh, to maintain more friction in the grip. Would be interesting if anyone else had some knowledge or impressions about this. Those worn handles do look odd.

Back