Media Matthew P forging video

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All
Had the good fortune of taking my first bladesmithing/forging class last weekend with Matthew Parkinson (of Dragon's Breath Forge). A weekend of knife making was awesome...nerding out with someone who's worked with steel for so long (20years?) was something else. Matt was extremely generous with his knowledge and patient with my and others' questions.
in any event, found this video on youtube.
thought some might find this interesting. 18 mins a bit long, but i find it soothing to watch. also, makes me chuckle cuz he makes it look easy.
hope you enjoy!
-Andre

[video=youtube;rDh4aIFID9E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDh4aIFID9E[/video]

Thanks for sharing this Andre. He handles that hammer like its hollow. Must have been a trip working with him.

yeah. Not that I ever expected the work to be easy, but I have a new found respect for forgery.

side note...my wife got me this class as a father's day gift, so I went into this without any expectations. I didn't research the instructor because I wanted to go in with an open mind. Turns out this dude won the first episode of Forged in Fire. How did I find out?: Midway through the first day, a fellow student asked Matt if he had ever seen the show. The student's jaw dropped from Matt's answer. Student, who was a big fan of the show, hadn't seen the first episode. I guess he hadn't done his research either.:laugh:

I had only known of the show from reading about it here. and have since watched with admittedly biased interest
other interesting note: all three smiths from Dragon's Breath who entered the competition won their respective episodes...talented guys. all seem like good people to boot

Very cool. Great to see someone using a non-machine-driven hammer.

Latest posts

Back