Everything has turned to warm butter

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edgy Guy

Reaction score
Last week I bought a new Konosuke 240mm White #2 Gyuto and 120mm Petty From JKI.
http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php?2357-Review-of-JKI-Japanese-Knife-Imports

Holeeee Crapoleeee!
I had no idea what good knives could do.

I've nicked myself a couple times now pushing too hard.
I was not expecting a thick raw carrot to virtually melt into pudding from the touch of the this sharp magical Japanese steel.

There is an odd smooth sensuous suction sensation cutting with these knives.
It's almost like they have some invisible force pulling them through food.
The tactile difference is astonishing.

What a joy!!!

I love these posts, I can remember my first too, great feeling. :)

Oh one thing though......just wait until you sharpen them.

I love these posts, I can remember my first too, great feeling. :)

Oh one thing though......just wait until you sharpen them.

I cannot image they could possibly be any sharper.
I have to be careful how I dry them.
They EAT towels.

I cannot image they could possibly be any sharper.
I have to be careful how I dry them.
They EAT towels.

If Jon sharpened them first then they're extremely sharp but if you got the factory edge then yeah you're in for a whole other experience. :D

i did not sharpen them first... but they ship with a respectable factory edge

That edge is only "respectable"? :eek2::eek2::eek2:

When the knife seemed to just fall through the big raw carrot I thought someone was playing a practical joke on me, since they've been teasing me about my snobby new knives they are not allowed to touch.
I thought they had put a few cooked carrots back into the bag with the raw ones.

Honestly, I bit into the carrot to see if it had been cooked.
Nope . . . Raw.

oh yeah... you can do better than that for the edge for sure

I'll have to learn some new superlatives to post about a better edge.

Actually I haven't use the new knives much.
I've been holding off till my end-grain block arrives this Friday. :bliss:

Our old cutting boards will be relegated to use by the unwashed masses here along with those Henkie Denkie "knives". :laughat:

You do have a sharpening stone, right? Once you put your own edge on that knife, it's all over for you. Just hand your wallet over to Jon. I suspect you'll be visiting him frequently...

Another thing you should notice is how different the things you cut feel. Try cutting a cucumber with your new knife knife then with a blunt one and it gives a good example of the difference

Wait until you diced potatoes. It's like your knife is falling thorough a mound of flour. The joy of cooking has just been renewed.

hahaha this is awesome.

Congratulations, your standards will never be that low again!

from the thread topic, I thought someone was on "lsd" :tongue:

unfortunately, once you discovered it, or get used to it, you will not have that same feeling again :(

We get spoiled by the good stuff, it's true - but even though the pure elation isn't there after a while, there are still moments when you really appreciate just how good your tools are ;)

I just got the Gesshin Ginga petty, two days before going on a trip (hi from Vermont!) -- so haven't attempted to sharpen. Used it OOTB and it has a very respectable edge like that... My first real "laser" so mayhbe I still don't know what I'm in for, either! I meant to italicize "very" in the previous sentence....

My parents have an ancient "Sabatier" of some sort, thinner than my Nogent and just beautiful though it's been badly abused. Broken tip and the edge is not straight. Still took it to a whetstone that appears to be from some time around 1965, which is when my dad bought the knife or so. First time sharpening "dry" -- super easy to sharpen except for where it's just not straight. That was fun, and I can't believe how thin the thing is for a French (or maybe American?) knife. Now I want to go home and get sharpening the new Gesshin Ginga.

"Ah, having an "out of saya" experience?" I like it, made me chuckle.

I really need to get a bunch of stuff to cut up for no reason, my current pace is not working out too well. Have not used my DT mid-tech that much yet (nor have I sharpened it yet), and about to get one from Stephan Fowler which will be my first carbon. I hate to waste food, but I could use the practice anyway. A friend who has been giving me a bunch of grief over this hobby is now in love with my Tojiro that I have sharpened a few times and now thinks his old knife (his dad had gotten a custom one from somewhere in NY a long time back, not sure from who or what type steel) is inadequate, even though I have sharpened that a few times as well. It will be interesting to let him compare that with the others. Not sure he will get hooked, and is happy to let me continue to do the sharpening, but he has shown some recent interest in the knives.

I really need to get a bunch of stuff to cut up for no reason, my current pace is not working out too well.

Make a stew or a soup. Lots of stuff to cut up and nothing wasted.

Back