• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Yanagiba, Deba, Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dardeau

Reaction score
I've been thinking seriously about the amount of knives I tote around and how I can get down to three or four that I can do everything with.

And thus the sacrifice.

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1442188702.956499.jpg

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1442188725.136537.jpg

First up are the two knives that were my workhorses when I was cutting fish every day. These have probably spent more time in my hands total than any other knife I've owned.

The yanagiba is a 270mm Masamoto KS. It is the knife from this thread:
http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/s...lling-knife-has-no-handle?p=290912#post290912
And I elected to let it sharpen its way out over time. This is what it looks like now

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1442188955.270186.jpg

Includes original saya, slightly cracked and with a replacement pin.

I really love this knife, but I have a Shig 300mm and don't cut fish everyday so I don't need two.

Masamoto KS 270mm yanagiba - $175

The deba is a Sakai Ichimonji 210mm blue #2. This was my second deba, and the one I have used most. About six months ago I slipped removing a tuna collar and took a chunk out of the edge. I went back to using my Uraku while I worked out the chip slowly, then bought a Watanabe. The chip is totally gone from this one but it still needs maybe an hour more of thinning to get it back to peak performance. This had a Sakai certified craftsmen sticker (dento kougi-shi?)that is long gone, but includes the original cracked saya, the pin gone the way of the sticker.

Sakai Ichimonji 210mm blue#2 deba-$125
Cheap so you can send it to Dave or Jon to finish the thinning, we're not all gluttons for thinning punishment like Danny!

Last is the one that hurts. A 240mm Watanabe blue#2 kurouchi gyuto. This thing is badass. It does veg prep like a Chinese chef's knife. If I had to julienne 200 onions this is the knife I would choose. Unfortunately I only ever cut about ten at a time nowadays. I wish I had this knife ten, twelve years ago as a prep cook.

I just bought a Heiji 240mm, and I'm serious about cutting back and it fits my 240mm slot better than the Watanabe otherwise I wouldn't consider selling. Seriously look at this:
ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1442190539.538492.jpg
Includes a homemade friction fit saya.

Watanabe blue #2 Kurouchi gyuto-$200

All prices usd, shipped conus. Trades entertained if they are really cool, or are a 270mm mioroishi.

Feel free to ask any questions, I can take more photos.

Watanabe sold. That was like a DT ITK sale time. One down, two to go!

Just curious, D - I love my Watanabe Pro 210 and have a Japan Heiji carbon on the way. Why does the Heiji suit you better now with a 'modest' 10 onions, etc?

If you hadn't already sold the Watanabe, of course I'd also be saying that at $200, even if a KU, any buyer's bound to be getting a great knife. However, sold!

It isn't so much that the Heiji is more suited to less veg prep, but that the Watanabe is suited to more. Because of its height and profile it is really well suited to a lot of repetitive motion, but not so suited to something like cleaning and portioning a ribeye roll. The Heiji is just a lot more versatile. If I wasn't trying to slim down I would have kept the Watanabe for big days.

And the deba is sold, **** her down. Ger, if you have any other questions about the Wat or Heiji pm me.

Oops, that should have been shut. Phone typing yall.

Back