Quantcast
Yanagiba information
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yanagiba information

Yanagiba information

I am going to forge out a yanagiba while doing this batch. It will be a 300mm. What is a good thickness? I feel like .103 is too thin to make this out of. Would a 3/16 be better to start? I am going to forge to shape and forge the bevel in also. I was looking at a masamoto and think i will shoot for a similar profile, just unsure of the thickness.

Thank
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Davis View Post
    I am going to forge out a yanagiba while doing this batch. It will be a 300mm. What is a good thickness? I feel like .103 is too thin to make this out of. Would a 3/16 be better to start? I am going to forge to shape and forge the bevel in also. I was looking at a masamoto and think i will shoot for a similar profile, just unsure of the thickness.

Thank
    Mike
    Most yanagibas are 4-4.5 mm at the spine.

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Usually very thick to add weight to the blade. This way when slicing the weight of the blade does the downward force through the protein making it easier to slice cleanly.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Is this going to real yanagiba, single bevel & urasuki? Probably around 4-4.2 mm spine @ handle should do it.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    Is this going to real yanagiba, single bevel & urasuki? Probably around 4-4.2 mm spine @ handle should do it.
    As real as i can make it. I have a platen piece i want to try to make the urasuki. If measured properly, it should come in at about a 30" hollow on the back, after i forge it in as close as possible. I know japanese makers forge the urasuki in and that is what i am shooting for....I might mess it up, but i have more steel to play with I will start a new WIP thread as i start this one....Maybe in the morning....well later this morning lol.

Thanks for the info guys

Also, you can chat with Jon, he's a bottomless pit of that kind of info.

Got started forging today...Hope this is close to the right shape....I know i need to thin the tip....But the bevels look pretty good and the urasuki is pretty even...Shouldn't be hard to get this cleaned and clay coated. I am going for broke on this hamon...Should be AWESOME! have a sweet trick to try

Yowza! Looks like BIG fun! I wish I still had enough right arm to use a hammer like that!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Wow that was some fast progress!
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

LOL. Yeah,I used to think that I had the arm to do that by hand until a piece 1 inch O1 drill rod informed the tendons in my elbow that I was sorely (pun intended) mistaken.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    Yowza! Looks like BIG fun! I wish I still had enough right arm to use a hammer like that!