Questions about Ichimonji Kichikuni Blue Steel Wa-Gyuto Knife 240mm

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charon

Reaction score
Hello

Has anyone every owned a Ichimonji Kichikuni Blue Steel Wa-Gyuto Knife 240mm?
It's available on bluewayjapan for a bargain 155$ and I don't know if it's OK.
How are the grinds compared to other clad stainless ones? ( Masakage Yuki or Anryu Blue #2?) the site does not specify thickness.

Should I keep it safe and get a Masakage Yuki ?

I owned an iron clad one that was a little more expensive. It was comparable to a Kono Fuji.

yeah that's what I've read too but I think I want a stainless clad knife
I own a Tanaka damascus and sometimes I don't clean it soon enough and it rusts :(

Same OEM blade as the Tadafusa blue gyuto. Quite a price premium for the 240 vs 210.

Searching for feedback on the Tadafusa blue here would be prudent, although it is entirely possible that the Kichikuni is quite different wrt grind/geometry if they are doing the finishing.

I suspect the "special" blue steel Kichikuni (Wide-bevel/faux-wide-bevel Fujiyama-esque knife) is a very different animal.

that's a good observation. I noticed it looked a lot like a Tadafusa blue but did not realized it. Thank you!
The tang is a lot wider on the 210 Tadafusa, also the handle on the Ichimonji is octagonal ichi.

Do you think the price is unreasonable? Honestly I cannot find a better deal for a 240mm gyuto carbon core clad in stainless.

Same OEM blade as the Tadafusa blue gyuto. Quite a price premium for the 240 vs 210.

Searching for feedback on the Tadafusa blue here would be prudent, although it is entirely possible that the Kichikuni is quite different wrt grind/geometry if they are doing the finishing.

I suspect the "special" blue steel Kichikuni (Wide-bevel/faux-wide-bevel Fujiyama-esque knife) is a very different animal.

There is also the itinomonn 240 that just came back in stock. Stainless clad with v2 core, a similar price in the end too.

No, not unreasonable at all! - it's just that the Tadafusa 210mm is very keenly priced.

Longer blades sometimes attract a significant premium (see e.g. Sugimoto, Fujiwara Teruyasu for example), plus the one you are looking at has a significantly upgraded handle (the cheaper-handled variant is $130).

For stainless-clad carbon I'd be looking at Itinomonn too, but the profile is very different.

Yeah you are right. The Itinomonn v2 clad in stainless looks good. Very smooth finish and a lot more belly for rocking.

Not to say Keiichi at blueway isn't a great vendor (he is), but I've gotten enough knives from Maksim to say that you'll get a great cutter if you go with the Itinomonn from JNS.

Hm I really have to think about this. Thank you for the advice

Back