Japanese Knives Ikazuchi and Gesshin Kagero Wa-Handled Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBroida

KKF Vendor
Founding Member
Reaction score
A few new things up today...

Ikazuchi
http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/kitchen-knives-14/kitchen-knives/ikazuchi.html

Stainless Clad Blue Super Wa-Gytuos... crazy thin... i think people are gonna love these:

(240mm wa-gyuto pictured)

fu9a6153.jpg

fu9a6156.jpg

ikazuchi_gyuto_240_4.jpg

ikazuchi_gyuto_240_5.jpg

ikazuchi_gyuto_240_6.jpg

And the Gesshin Kagero Wa-Series:
http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/kitchen-knives-14/kitchen-knives/gesshin-kagero.html

Pretty much just a wa-handled version of our gesshin kagero... came out really nice though

(pictured 240mm Wa-Gyuto)

fu9a6143.jpg

fu9a6146.jpg

fu9a6171.jpg

fu9a6175.jpg

fu9a6180.jpg

Enjoy ;)

For what its worth, the Ikazuchi series is pretty much everything i ever had hoped for from the hiromoto AS series but with a wa-handle. Its thinner at the spine and behind the edge, has nicer F&F, better grind consistency, a similar cladding line for cool effect, super light weight, nice distal taper, and comes with a saya... all for a very reasonable price in my opinion. Cant wait to see what you guys think of these, but i have a feeling they will sell out quick :)

No kidding! That's a great price.
How is the geometry compared to the Ittetsu - since they're both very thin awase knives?

How careful should one be about avoiding bending? E.g. cutting through hard root veg or cheese, cleaning...
I'm a little wary of very thin awase knives in general, as I understand they're less elastic than zen-ko knives. I'm not sure that's really justified though.

Another question, about the Kagero now: should we expect the price of the western and wa handled versions to be the same once the western is back in stock?

I would have thought western versions to be more expensive to produce, in general.

the Ikazuchis look awesome, but wheres the chinese cleaver?

Question. Since the profile has a good amount of belly, would rock chopping be harmful to the super thin edge? I'm a push cutter so I'm kinda worried about accordian results.

No kidding! That's a great price.
How is the geometry compared to the Ittetsu - since they're both very thin awase knives?

How careful should one be about avoiding bending? E.g. cutting through hard root veg or cheese, cleaning...
I'm a little wary of very thin awase knives in general, as I understand they're less elastic than zen-ko knives. I'm not sure that's really justified though.

I'm still getting used to mine, but i havent noticed any problems with flex so far. The ittetu is taller overall and thicker in the midsection and at the spine i think.

Another question, about the Kagero now: should we expect the price of the western and wa handled versions to be the same once the western is back in stock?

I would have thought western versions to be more expensive to produce, in general.

The price of the westerns will be going up at some point, but part of the price increase was the inclusion of a saya with the wa-handled ones. I'll have to see what the cost of the westerns is when they come back in.

Question. Since the profile has a good amount of belly, would rock chopping be harmful to the super thin edge? I'm a push cutter so I'm kinda worried about accordian results.

really rocking is not good for any japanese knives... there should be some up-down motion similar to rocking in your push cutting, but the knife should come off the board entirely still

For what its worth, the Ikazuchi series is pretty much everything i ever had hoped for from the hiromoto AS series but with a wa-handle. Its thinner at the spine and behind the edge, has nicer F&F, better grind consistency, a similar cladding line for cool effect, super light weight, nice distal taper, and comes with a saya... all for a very reasonable price in my opinion. Cant wait to see what you guys think of these, but i have a feeling they will sell out quick :)

What is the heat treat like on the Ikazuchi? Curious to how you think the steel feels on the board & stones. The Hiro AS felt fairly soft to me, but looking online it's supposedly 61-62HRC, so maybe I'm just crazy...

its harder than the hiro from what i can tell so far, but i need more time with mine for a fully formed opinion

Spine and choil rounded on the ikazuchi? Didn't notice it in description and figured it was worth checking in on :)

Thanks for fostering my impulse buying. Just ordered an Ikazuchi. It seems to hit all the right characteristics for me at the moment. Looking forward to it.:goodpost:

Thanks for fostering my impulse buying. Just ordered an Ikazuchi. It seems to hit all the right characteristics for me at the moment. Looking forward to it.:goodpost:

Same here, as well as a few other goodies that I couldn't live without.

Spine and choil rounded on the ikazuchi? Didn't notice it in description and figured it was worth checking in on :)

no, but not crazy sharp either... i can always do that kind of work for you guys if you ask though. Its just a function of how much free time i can make.

Jon, these look really nice. I think that stainless clad super-blue really is a great option when non-stainless carbon knife does not fit the bill (I have one stainless clas super blue knife and it is really practical for what I use it for). They look crazy thin (and very lightweight). They also seem to have quite some belly - how is the flat spot (in other words - is there one - this is always hard to judge from photos)?

I am not trying to talk myself into another knife here ;) , but something tells me that the 210 would be excellent addition next to my 255mm workhorse gyuto ...

Jon, these look really nice. I think that stainless clad super-blue really is a great option when non-stainless carbon knife does not fit the bill (I have one stainless clas super blue knife and it is really practical for what I use it for). They look crazy thin (and very lightweight). They also seem to have quite some belly - how is the flat spot (in other words - is there one - this is always hard to judge from photos)?

I am not trying to talk myself into another knife here ;) , but something tells me that the 210 would be excellent addition next to my 255mm workhorse gyuto ...

they have a pretty constant curve, with a slightly more flat area near the heel for about 1/3 of the blade (but its not really flat). I'm about to start using mine a bit more seriously this week, so i'll let you know how they work out, but there is belly for sure. Its not as flat as the gesshin kagero is.

Are customs available for the Ikazuchi line?
Or anything new like sujihiki's coming?

Thanks.

Just got a 240 Ikazuchi gyuto wonderfully packed from Jon's shop. It is indeed light and super thin, a wa handled laser. Looking forward to using it more at home. Very different from the Shig I have been using. I enjoy mixing it up a bit depending on my whims of the day. Both will be in my top rotation. I like whatever treatment Jon did to the octagonal horn/ho wood handle. It seems smoother and grippier than untreated ho wood. Very happy with the purchase. :doublethumbsup:

Show pics of the lamination line once a nice dark patina sets in.

Just got a 240 Ikazuchi gyuto wonderfully packed from Jon's shop. It is indeed light and super thin, a wa handled laser. Looking forward to using it more at home. Very different from the Shig I have been using. I enjoy mixing it up a bit depending on my whims of the day. Both will be in my top rotation. I like whatever treatment Jon did to the octagonal horn/ho wood handle. It seems smoother and grippier than untreated ho wood. Very happy with the purchase. :doublethumbsup:

glad you like it... i know when people start using them, that will be that. plus the cladding line is gonna look sick.

here's a pic borrowed from another forum (and from the customer on there who bought it and is using it)... i love the way these kinds of knives patina... might be the only patinas i like (i know this is sacrilegious to some)

‪#‎Ikazuchi‬ Stainless-Clad Blue Super Wa-Gyuto after some use (thanks Allen Lum on cheftalk... totally stole this picture from him on there)...
http://www.cheftalk.com/t/87228/need-some-convincing

11225081_10153293683088860_7033563886163834067_n.jpg

not from what i can see... i'm on right now and have refreshed a few times

for what its worth, we are moving our website to a new system in november (with a redesign to make it more user friendly and mobile friendly)... that should take care of these stupid problems with it crashing from time to time. Sorry our last redesign sucked so much.

Ok Thanks its weird im getting this error. There has been an error processing your request

Back