Media Takeda Hamono - An Inside Look

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Founding Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;X5RKWuZk9X4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5RKWuZk9X4&feature=autoplay&list=ULl9e4gfDoY_Y&index=4&playnext=1[/video]

thanks for posting the video. i almost pulled a trigger couple times before, till today i never tried one. what your opinion on takeda's knife ?

I like and appreciate his knives for what they are - rough, rustic, and somewhat delicate. I'm drawn to them even though I don't think that they're very well suited for most uses, I don't think that they suit a pro kitchen role very well at all.

I forgot to mention what I like the most about them - they're fun to sharpen. They make for a pretty look and a great edge.

+1. I have the 240mm gyuto. Definitely not a primary knife, but they are really fun to use. Really easy to sharpen, and they get wicked sharp.

Seems like most of you use it occasionally and not a workhouse type of knife. Is it too brittle and thin ?

Wow, while viewing for the 2nd time, and checking out the opening shot of the horizontal grinding/sharpening wheel, I realized I could take an old potter's wheel and set it up to do the same thing. It has a rheostat, enabling a wide speed selection, and it would be very simple to set up some type of grinding stone with a water drip, or just adhesive abrasives. Made my day!

I love using my Takedas - really nice to use at home or at a friend's place - but no, I wouldn't use any of them in a work environment. Not because they're thin, in my opinion, because I have had no issues with flex/bending, brittleness, etc. It's just that I find the cladding needs a bit of babying compared to others. It oxidizes from moisture pretty damn quickly.

Wow, while viewing for the 2nd time, and checking out the opening shot of the horizontal grinding/sharpening wheel, I realized I could take an old potter's wheel and set it up to do the same thing. It has a rheostat, enabling a wide speed selection, and it would be very simple to set up some type of grinding stone with a water drip, or just adhesive abrasives. Made my day!

There are stones on the market for these horizontal wheels, don't remember where I saw them but they weren't too expensive.

Good gravy, someone mail those guys some respirators and earplugs. Sheesh.

The black loogies are not a good sign, fellas.

Agh! Hard to watch not seeing any goggles on while grinding!!!!

-AJ

I like and appreciate his knives for what they are - rough, rustic, and somewhat delicate. I'm drawn to them even though I don't think that they're very well suited for most uses, I don't think that they suit a pro kitchen role very well at all.

I love them as well, but I LOVE rough and rustic in most my obsessions lol I would have a full set if $$ where not an issue, and I'd be using them all the time :)

Dave thanks for the Vid link :)

Very Cool. When do we get a look into Martell Hamono?

I have a 240 gyuto that I do use occasionally at work. Oddly enough, I find that the cladding on this knife is the least reactive of any I have. Compared to a Moritaka or Watanabe, this thing is practically stainless. This is an older one, so maybe he switched cladding material somewhere along the line.

I'd bet on the older ones having better/more scale and lacquer in place then the ones from the last few years have. The older ones were ground thinner at the bevels too.

Latest posts

Back