Quantcast
Damascus gyoto WIP. - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Damascus gyoto WIP.

That's going to be one sweet knife. Can't wait to see the finished product. I don't believe I've ever seen rosewood Burl.

Rosewood burl is some amazingly beautiful stuff!! BUT, It does need to be properly seasoned or dried fully, or it will shrink and crack and bow, It gets ugly fast.. dont ask me how I know!! lol

These blocks have been seasoned for over 3 years by me and the seller seasoned for 2 1/2 years B4 I purchased it.. Its finally ready to use!

Here is a pic, enjoy.

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Quote Originally Posted by mainaman View Post
    Great looking knife, I really like the profile.
    What is the grind?
    Thanks, The grind is a full flat with a slight convex toward the cutting edge. This helps to keep food sticking to a minimum. and makes the geometry better at the transition between the cutting bevel and the main grind..

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Whoa, that is some amazing wood! I've got wood envy

Yea, there nice!! I think it will really complement the damascus pattern..

Availible Knives

Nice combination there Randy... I think its coming along very nicely... Can't wait to see those finished pics!

Wow! Your knives are pretty amazing, Randy.
    I want one of those blocks, by the way!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Love the way the pattern worked! And that wood is amazing!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Appreciate the comments. Made a little more progress today, Cut and shaped the damascus bolsters and fitted them to the blade. Cut and sanded the scales.
    Thanks for looking.
    Randy

Availible Knives

Lordy mercy, 5 year prep on that wood! Sheesh!