Deba/Workhorse recommendations

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stearate

Reaction score
USA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Deba, workhorse (a single multi purpose knife would be best but 2 knives would also be acceptable).

Are you right or left handed?
Right-handed.

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
No preference.

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
180mm deba, 240mm workhorse? I'm open to other sizes if there is a single knife that will fit the bill.

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
No.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
I'd be willing to spend 300 per knife or up to 700 for something special.

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home use, some commissary use.

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Filleting fish. Portioning fish. Breaking down chickens

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
Currently using my beater victorinox 8inch chef.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use?
Pinch grip/hammer.

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Slicing, splitting, hacking, chopping.

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
Sharpness, aesthetics, heft, stability, edge retention.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Yes
Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes.
If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
Hello KKF. A few months ago I got some great recommendations on a new 240 gyoto, a 270 suji, and a really amazing paring knife. Now i'm in the fortunate situation of needing (mostly wanting) a new knife/knives.
I'm looking for a knife/knives that I can use to butcher fish and break down chicken with. I'm not sure if theres a single knife that will meet both tasks but i'm open to all recommendations.
Full disclosure, this purchase may be slightly influenced by Theory's youtube posts early this week. I know that i'm not nearly as skilled but it would be nice to have a knife to develop technique with.

Wanna go cheap? Just grab a Tanaka Kurouchi Deba 180mm or 180mm Tanaka kasumi deba. Little higher, Gesshin Uraku 180mm white steel. A little nicer, Gesshin Hide 180mm blue steel. Maybe even a suisin Inox 180mm.

For that something special, Japan Wood Worker has a 180mm (7 in) Kitaeji Deba in stock for 699.99.

Back