Quantcast
Sharpening Class - Oct 8, 2011 - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Sharpening Class - Oct 8, 2011

So... how was the class?

???This could be interpreted so many different ways I don't even want to start.

He said knife play not sword play...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    So... how was the class?

We had a great group of guys & girl today and it went nice. I had a good time.

Great class. Helped tons. Dave's Dvd is a good start with good info. Dave in person with real feedback and a few years more insight into things is a whole other level. Cool, relaxed class today, but we all found it truly worthwhile. Heck, I sharpened some more for practice after getting back to the hotel. My edges aren't perfect, but man, they are very noticeably better than what I used to get from my sharpening efforts.

Dave predicted we'd have some blood spilled in the class today. Didn't happen. I did, however, abrade one fingertip a bit much tonight during my after class practice
    Len

That was the first class with no bloodshed - amazing!

Len, I'm happy to hear that you got something from the class, that's the best part for me. I also really enjoyed your company, you guys were great.

This was a great class: fun, laid back, and informative. Instead of just telling us what to do Dave was great at teaching us to figure out what to do, a subtle but very important difference. Something that will be way more helpful and laid a foundation that we can continue to build on ourselves. To anybody that is sitting on the fence about whether to take one of Dave's classes I heartily recomend it, in 8 hours I learned more then I could have in a year of trying to sharpen my knives at home with Internet videos. I would honestly consider taking the class again or paired with his advanced class. Thank you to the Martell family for allowing us into their home and to interupt their weekend.

Will

Now if only I could get him over here under the pretext of holding a Ka-bar sharpening class.......
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by The hekler View Post
    This was a great class: fun, laid back, and informative. Instead of just telling us what to do Dave was great at teaching us to figure out what to do, a subtle but very important difference. Something that will be way more helpful and laid a foundation that we can continue to build on ourselves. To anybody that is sitting on the fence about whether to take one of Dave's classes I heartily recomend it, in 8 hours I learned more then I could have in a year of trying to sharpen my knives at home with Internet videos. I would honestly consider taking the class again or paired with his advanced class. Thank you to the Martell family for allowing us into their home and to interupt their weekend.

Will

It was nice meeting you Will and it's great hearing that you got something out of the class.

The class was awesome! I really didn't know anything about sharpening my knives, so I was a blank slate so to speak. Dave's presentation was excellent, with just enough detail to be interesting without getting bogged down in detail. For this class, he has obviously taken care to sieve through all the BS and misinformation about sharpening and distill it down to a fantastic one-day presentation. If you're not getting proper results from your sharpening regime, you owe it to yourself to take this class. Believe me, Dave has had years of experience to develop the insight and recommendations that he gives you and that is worth the price alone. I really appreciated the information on preparing your stones, sharpening by feel, stropping and stone selection for specific knives and needs. Plus, I really liked the little extras covered like how to properly repair damaged tips (mine was repaired gratis as the example). Not to mention the screaming edge Dave put on my 100-year old Beatty cleaver. That thing cuts like a $400 gyuto now! Thanks to Dave for this class, his hospitality and the opportunity to learn with some cool fellow knife nuts.

It was great having you here Lyle, I very much enjoyed your company.