Larrin passes final hurdle for PHD

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DevinT

Reaction score
Larrin defended his thesis today. This is where you stand in front of 5 PHD advisers for three hours, they nit pick 160 pages of condensed research and make the candidate feel like he could have done more to find all of the ins and outs of a very narrow field of study.

He did better than average and will now receive his PHD in metallurgy. He has accepted a job with US steel in Pittsburgh.

He says it will be okay if I don't call him Dr. Thomas now, but others may have to.

We are very proud parents. He put hinself through school with almost no help from us and even saved money, got married, had two kids, and has no debt. We are excited for them.

Hoss

Congrats. It is a massive achievement just to survive a PhD, let alone get it and do well.

I dropped out after 4 months of one.

That's great -- congratulations, Larrin! It's been a lot of years of hard work for you, and now you can really have an impact in the world of metals.

Now onto Step 2 -- getting US Steel to start producing an array of new sheet steels suitable for high-performance kitchen knives :D

Congrats, Devin! That's really great.

Dr. Mark

congrats steelcity is a great place to raise a family as well. hopefully he enjoys the next phase of life.

Cheers for the effort! Hoss, I know how proud you are now ;)

Dr. James

I have only heard about the nerve wrecking final PhD thesis defending live. Down here, we just have to submit it to get it marked, a lot less nerve wrecking and a different system all together.

Congrats to Dr.Thomas.

Congrats that is awesome!

Can't wait to hear what new cutlery super steels Dr. Thomas creates =D

Congratulations to both of you... His choice of field is a testament that you had shaped him directly or indirectly.What can I say... "old man's " influence....

as always rgds
D

Congrats both to Larrin & Hoss!:doublethumbsup:

Thanks, everyone. We're very excited about the move to Pittsburgh. I will be working in Product Development at US Steel. They have a big focus on automotive steel so I expect to be working on quite a bit of that. It's going to be a big transition going from school to industry after being in college for so long. I'm ready for the journey.

Thanks, everyone. We're very excited about the move to Pittsburgh. I will be working in Product Development at US Steel. They have a big focus on automotive steel so I expect to be working on quite a bit of that. It's going to be a big transition going from school to industry after being in college for so long. I'm ready for the journey.

I'm sure it will be a fun transition too.

Very impressive. I'm starting a PhD program next September at UCSD in finance, I appreciate how much work it is and the dedication required to achieve such a lofty goal. Passing your defense is probably the best feeling there is....the culmination of 4-5 years of very hard work. Congratulations!

Back