• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

(semi)stainless, 210mm gyuto, wa or yo....

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zwiefel

Reaction score
Looking for a reasonable starter knife for a lady...210mm, stainless or semi-stainless. Handle-type not important. What's out there guys?

Oooooops, I should have specified price: ~$125/

My go to in these situations is Jon's Gesshin Stainless or Suisin Western Inox. The Suisin has a little more eye appeal, the Gesshin is (IMO) the better cutter. Would think that you would want a knife that you could use if called into service.:whistling:

My go to in these situations is Jon's Gesshin Stainless or Suisin Western Inox. The Suisin has a little more eye appeal, the Gesshin is (IMO) the better cutter. Would think that you would want a knife that you could use if called into service.:whistling:

Your message is unclear. -_-

Honestly if you want to blow her mind up the budget a smidge and buy a takamura migaki. I recently bought my sister one after she refused a HHH production knife cause it was scary and it blew her mind. The sexy red Pakka wood handle and cool looking blade will impress her and the r2 steel extreme thinness and crazy performance will impress you. If that's not an option I'd buy a tanaka or a tojiro. Something basic and not too fancy. Cant comment on the gesshin until the exchange rate improves I won't be touching those lol.

I'm not familiar with this knife....anyone else know it?

I have some from this series, it's sometimes also just called Takamura R2. Very thin at the the spine for San-Mai, I'm quite certain the 210mm gyuto is <2mm, I could check the specs of 150mm petty and 180&210mm Gyutos if you'd like. If it's a first knife may want to keep in mind the thinness aspect and risk for damaging if there'll be a learning curve for the knife skills and uses. Some have mentioned microchipping when using the ootb edge, not problematic for me personally but I don't beat on these or anything like that. The standard generic sayas fit nicely too.

4E3A815C-1411-423D-8B03-04BE7690B6BE_zpsu3xd8ghl.jpg

I have some from this series, it's sometimes also just called Takamura R2. Very thin at the the spine for San-Mai, I'm quite certain the 210mm gyuto is <2mm, I could check the specs of 150mm petty and 180&210mm Gyutos if you'd like. If it's a first knife may want to keep in mind the thinness aspect and risk for damaging if there'll be a learning curve for the knife skills and uses. Some have mentioned microchipping when using the ootb edge, not problematic for me personally but I don't beat on these or anything like that. The standard generic sayas fit nicely too.

4E3A815C-1411-423D-8B03-04BE7690B6BE_zpsu3xd8ghl.jpg

I can't edit my post in the app for some reason, only the top 1/3 of text shows and I for want to lose the rest.

Anyways I should add that the Gyutos have some sort of mineral deposits on them from cutting a lot of spinach, kale and Swiss chard so if you're wondering why they look weird that's why.

Latest posts

Back