Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: New Project - Makers, Hobbyists, Tweakers, Knife Nuts with Garages - You NEED to Read This!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HHH Knives View Post
    I just added another 2 X 72 grinder to my bench and already thinking one or 2 more would be PERFECT! lol This looks like a well made grinder. Ill be watching and waiting for updates
    Yup, these are well made and the guy who makes them is a nut in his own right (probably that's what drew me to him and an idea of collaboration was born). Also, I think there are too few makers who make specialty grinders, like integral bolster grinder, and others. I so often wished I had a grinder that would do this or that operation... Now, it's possible. )))

And bouncing ideas of each other is a lot of fun. I am pretty sure, outcome will be something quite nice, and geared toward kitchen knife community.

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Would be interested in having one shipped to Australia down the track. Looks great.

Ahhhhh......machine envy, such an ugly thing
    Rule #1- Don't sweat the small s%&t, rule #2- It's ALL small s%&t
    Mikey

In a dream world I would have one grinder for each grit

Here is a comparison of 2x48 and 2x72 grinders

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Comparison 2.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	180.8 KB 
ID:	29029

Name:	Comparison.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	184.6 KB 
ID:	29030

And here is a universal grinder prototype, on which the grinder we collaborate will be based (with some notable differences)

Name:	0_11b52b_79fa8fdf_orig.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	198.6 KB 
ID:	29031

I think I would like to have a grinder for each function I use - contact wheel, small wheel, grinding platens horizontal/vertical, etc. I can put up with changing grits)))

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

Each grinder will be equipped with the following motors and drives.

Name:  Leeson.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  18.7 KB

Name:	KBAC.JPG 
Views:	106 
Size:	315.6 KB 
ID:	29033

Will there be an option to specify the Leeson or Baldor motor? In you first post you mention both - has the decision been made?

Any thoughts on having a cool mist/ wet grinding option. That is something that all kitchen knife makers could use and I dont know of anything but Do it yourself options? That feature alone could really set your product apart.

Good luck on the venture!

John

Quote Originally Posted by Bill13 View Post
    Will there be an option to specify the Leeson or Baldor motor? In you first post you mention both - has the decision been made?
    Leeson or Baldor, both comparable specs and both TEFC. Baldor generally runs about $30 more, so the price will be more based on the motor cost.

M

Quote Originally Posted by JMJones View Post
    Any thoughts on having a cool mist/ wet grinding option. That is something that all kitchen knife makers could use and I dont know of anything but Do it yourself options? That feature alone could really set your product apart.

Good luck on the venture!

John

I mentioned in one of my previous post that there will be an optional platen cooler, with a water tank and pump hooked up to the platen, so it runs cool. Water will be circulating, so no need to hook up to the water lines.

It will translate into cooler grinding and longer belts life. Wet grinding it a bit too messy for most folks to accept.

Thanks