Knives & Stones A good news and a bad news for Tanaka Ginsanko

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkjames

KKF Sponsor
Reaction score
Bad news first:
I was informed by Tanaka that they have ceased the production of the entire ginsan line, so there will be no further supply of the Ginsanko blades, due to "supply issues". Once the remaining stock is good, the ginsan is gone for good.

Now the good news:
I have secured all the remaining stock of the ginsan. Among them there are some 210 and 240 gyutos along with a few petties. I also added a few 240 stocks to the site. You can get them here:
http://www.knivesandstones.com/tana...o-240mm-with-custom-octagonal-bubinga-handle/

Again, slight price increase due to AUD slump and increased handle cost but should be quite minimal if you are spending USD.

James

Nooooooo! And to think I was on the fence over getting a 270 gyuto! Ugh. Damn Damn Damn Damn Damn Damn!

Nooooooo! And to think I was on the fence over getting a 270 gyuto! Ugh. Damn Damn Damn Damn Damn Damn!
its highly likely that i won't be able to get anymore 270s :p i have 3 coming, but all allocated to back orders.

Have they already sold out?
i mismanaged the stock a bit, should have a few more now :)

J.

James, Will "supply issues" affect other makers using Ginsanko? Do like that steel.

truth is, even Sakai has some very very serious production issues per Aoki hamono. I don't know the very reason of it, but new Ginsan orders will take forever to deliver (from Sakai). Tanaka is a small workshop in Miki so I would think the "supply issues" affects them more than Sakai, causing them to just gave up?

James

Have you sold out of these that you listed on the website already?

James, do you think they will consider doing this line in a different steel? Their ginsanko line offered more than just good steel.

Have you sold out of these that you listed on the website already?
Yes, I added 5 but they were gone very very quickly.

James, do you think they will consider doing this line in a different steel? Their ginsanko line offered more than just good steel.
Rumor is the steel will change to VG10, but not sure yet.

Any idea if grind would be the same just different steel? I know it might be too early to tell but figured I might as well ask

He already makes vg10 knives right? SLD would be nice

Afaik they do have vg10 in damascus but not sure the new replacement will be exactly the same as ginsan (nashiji non damascus, wide bevel) or something different.

SLD would be awesome.

Latest posts

Back