Best super steel knife ?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lilly

Reaction score
Looking for a gift for experienced chef friend ..... need something that will BLOW him away ! lol

Price ? .... well..... lets say i dont mind spending the money on this person... who has been very special to me for years.

thanks

Looking for a gift for experienced chef friend ..... need something that will BLOW him away ! lol

Price ? .... well..... lets say i dont mind spending the money on this person... who has been very special to me for years.

thanks

I should also add..... it should be a 240mm Gyuto or so.

thanks

I would fill out the "which knife I should buy?" questionnaire with all of the information that you know. It'll be very helpful in guiding you.

What James said: answering the questionnaire with any known information will get you a lot more help.

Last edited by a moderator:
the Aogami super blue steel knife.... the high carbon knife.

i was thinking about the Takeda classic 240mm Gyuto ....
or the like.

opinions please.
thanks

What James said: answering the questionnaire with any known information will get you a lot more help.

That said, if when saying "super steel" you're actually referring specifically to modern super steels, my recommendation would be the Sukenari ZDP-189 damascus 240mm gyuto. Super hard super steel, takes and holds a crazy edge, wild textured damascus, great handle.

WOW... i just looked at that knife.... really nice. thats one to consider. thanks.
and YES ! need it to REALLY hold the edge !

Take a look at kurosaki KU stainless cladded in blue super . Cuts like a dream and overall outstanding performer. Marc4pt0 will definitely vouche for that any day.

(Sigh)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are really set on a "super steel" as the main criteria then Tanaka R2: http://www.chuboknives.com/products/tanaka-sg2-gyutou-240mm-9-4#.Vf8_vJddvs4

yes.. I looked at the Tanaka ... very beautiful knife. I wanted something perhaps a little more rustic looking like the
Takeda classic 240mm gyuto ... i think he would like the look of it.

I have heard him speak of the desire to own a high carbon knife thats all hand forged... so i had this in the back of my head when i decided to start looking around. I know the Shigefusa is all done by hand...hardness 65? at least i think it is.....

but I havent been able to find the 240mm
a little smaller may be ok.... but I dont think he needs a 270mm ..... he's got alot of bigger knives.

what others like the shig can you suggest I look at ?
thanks

Hi Liz, welcome to the forum ;)

Hey James..... glad to see you are still up. looking forward to getting your knife. now I am looking for a gift.
since now I know something more about super steel. lol

i WAS trying to be very discreet about it in case hes looking on this forum. i think you gave away my cover. LOL

no worries.... can you suggest something you sell that might be what i could get him ?
he likes a Japanese handles.

thanks

Hey James..... glad to see you are still up. looking forward to getting your knife. now I am looking for a gift.
since now I know something more about super steel. lol

i WAS trying to be very discreet about it in case hes looking on this forum. i think you gave away my cover. LOL

no worries.... can you suggest something you sell that might be what i could get him ?
he likes a Japanese handles.

thanks

I can't discuss my products here in the public place. There are many many great sellers here other than me. Make sure you check out Jon @ JapaneseKnifeImports and Maxim @ JapaneseNaturalStones as well :) I am here to just say Hi :p

J.

I can't discuss my products here in the public place. There are many many great sellers here other than me. Make sure you check out Jon @ JapaneseKnifeImports and Maxim @ JapaneseNaturalStones as well :) I am here to just say Hi :p

J.

OH YES ! thats right ! OOPS ! didnt mean to do that .... i forgot.
i'll email you soon.
thanks

I cant get the questionnaire to open up... says thread is closed.
Hummmm....
ok...
well..... maybe i am doing it wrong. lol

I cant get the questionnaire to open up... says thread is closed.
Hummmm....
ok...
well..... maybe i am doing it wrong. lol

Here you go, just reply with quote and fill in the empty spots:):

The "Which Knife Should I Buy?" Questionnaire - v2
Please refer to the Kitchen Knife Knowledge subforum and the Kitchen Knife Glossary thread (LINK) for general information, including the knife types and other terminology used in this questionnaire.

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?

Are you right or left handed?

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)

What knife, if any, are you replacing?

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

Here you go, just reply with quote and fill in the empty spots:):

The "Which Knife Should I Buy?" Questionnaire - v2
Please refer to the Kitchen Knife Knowledge subforum and the Kitchen Knife Glossary thread (LINK) for general information, including the knife types and other terminology used in this questionnaire.

USA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?

Gyuto for the moment

Are you right or left handed?

right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?

western and Japanese

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?

210 mm 240 mmm 270 mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)

no

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?

undecided

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?

both

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)

slicing meats and... veg... slicing and mincing

What knife, if any, are you replacing?

none

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)

no

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?

would like nice handle and rustic style knife... reactive knife would be fine

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

YES.... long as possible in between sharpening.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)

yes.... hi soft board

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)

no

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

maybe

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)

not right now

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

right now.... really need a gift knife..... thats what i am looking for... something special.

hey lilly, I'm an owner of a takeda as 240 gyuto and i'm pretty sure that you have your eyes set on this knife because of the rusticity. that is also what drew me to this blade. with that being said, as a knife with an AS core, the takedas imo are on the cheaper side. the $380 price tag you see on the 240mm blades is pretty solid as well in my opinion. when you poke further into the white/blue/aogami steels, you're going to realize that hey, $380 is pretty damn cheap compared to all of the other options and that is pretty true when you're comparing some of the gesshin lines that are using similar steels. when it comes to AS knives with this type of cladding and aesthetic, there aren't that many options which is why takedas are most often the knives you seem gloriously standing at the front of any local cultery shop. If I were you, I'd go ahead and pull the trigger on the 240 takeda. regardless if it is a knife you were expecting or not, it is a head turner for sure and it doesn't hurt that it is on the easier side to maintain. hope this helps.

The questions in the questionnaire are important, location, dominant hand, etc. even for a gift.

It is much easier to buy from within your country unless you are in the US.

Handedness can make certain knives range from irritating, to inappropriate, to wildly unusable.

There is s lot of stuff in there that will help us help you.

I recently saw a lot of Takeda knives unpacked at a local shop. The grinds on 70% of them were not super nice. The other five or six looked awesome, especially two 170mm bunkas. I don't know that I would buy one as a gift. I would for myself if I was in the market, but not for a gift.

What is the most you are willing to spend?

When did "rustic" become a euphemism for "butt ugly" and "I'd rather be rusting"? Lot of good things to say about a well made Takeda. Attractive is not one that comes to mind.

thanks for your comments.... not sure about the amount i want to spend. just reading up on all i can before i decide what to do. I have seen alot of things that look interesting.
and YES ... that Takeda I mentioned is very reasonable for what it is.
and yes... beauty is in the eye.... lol

I do like the look of the Takeda very much.

thanks to all for your help.... i am looking into all the suggestions. I'll let you know what i decide on.

hey lilly, I'm an owner of a takeda as 240 gyuto and i'm pretty sure that you have your eyes set on this knife because of the rusticity. that is also what drew me to this blade. with that being said, as a knife with an AS core, the takedas imo are on the cheaper side. the $380 price tag you see on the 240mm blades is pretty solid as well in my opinion. when you poke further into the white/blue/aogami steels, you're going to realize that hey, $380 is pretty damn cheap compared to all of the other options and that is pretty true when you're comparing some of the gesshin lines that are using similar steels. when it comes to AS knives with this type of cladding and aesthetic, there aren't that many options which is why takedas are most often the knives you seem gloriously standing at the front of any local cultery shop. If I were you, I'd go ahead and pull the trigger on the 240 takeda. regardless if it is a knife you were expecting or not, it is a head turner for sure and it doesn't hurt that it is on the easier side to maintain. hope this helps.

Curious which Gesshin knives you are calling expensive here by comparison.

Not so sure that Takedas are exactly cheap for what you get (if inconsistent grinds factor in then they are certainly very expensive for a rustic knife)...here is a 240 in AS Super from Jon at JKI that is likely to be more consistent than Takeda, and every bit as rustic. It's currently out of stock, but it seems that he gets more of these in on occasion.

On the other hand, if your friend is good at thinning and sharpening then go ahead and get the Takeda, just know that it is likely to be a (expensive) project knife out of the box.

Not so sure that Takedas are exactly cheap for what you get (if inconsistent grinds factor in then they are certainly very expensive for a rustic knife)...here is a 240 in AS Super from Jon at JKI that is likely to be more consistent than Takeda, and every bit as rustic. It's currently out of stock, but it seems that he gets more of these in on occasion.

On the other hand, if your friend is good at thinning and sharpening then go ahead and get the Takeda, just know that it is likely to be a (expensive) project knife out of the box.

Thanks... i just looked at this knife. Its also nice and the price is good. and yeah.... hes a project guy.... and likes to take the time and care needed for whatever hes got. He may have this one.... I'm not sure.

Anyway.... thanks for telling me about it.
not in a hurry to make a decision here right away... i have some time.
i appreciate everyones personal experiences..... its the performance that matters and how the knife feels in the hand.

I have some other sneaky ways... with mutual friends ... to find out more about what else he is interested in and what other knives he may have
so i dont buy something he already has.

I know he does not have any Takeda..... but then there are alot of knives out there that he doesnt have .... so..... i welcome all suggestions.
thanks again.

I have kurosaki as 270mm from knives and stones, great knife , one of the best values out there . It is by far better cutter , better made , better finished than Takeda ( lot cheaper too )

The idea that Takeda is the best value AS knife is risible. However, they do have a unique aesthetic. As others have mentioned, geometry/grind varies wildly so tread carefully if you go down that path.

Seems you have a bit of a negative bias towards takedas . In terms of what Jon has available in aogami super, in my opinion, I would take the takeda over any of his kurouchi clad AS knives. the takedas just look WAY better to the eye. with that being said, why is a custom grind and minute sizing differences a negative to a knife? and again, if someone is thinking about spending anything over $200 on a japanese kitchen knife, I would hope that they are either 1) a professional cook or 2) a true knife enthusiast who is also very keen on stone sharpening as well. so with point #2 being said, any "inconsistencies" (in what I've found to be pretty damn up to par factory edges on every Takeda I've come across thus far) should be easily worked out and that AS steel should be corrected and set for its intended use. for professional cooks like myself, I also choose to sharpen and maintain all of my knives myself and have the necessary tools to do so. although I do have a lot of cohorts and friends who choose to just have all of their knives maintained at our local cutlery as well. so like I said, if you're deep enough into this knife game to have found this forum, then most knives should be in the realm of possibility in terms of making it "sharp". so with that being said, knife choice really all comes down to 1) aesthetics and 2) SPECIFIC intended use for professional cooks and 3) specific intended use for super freaking serious at home cooks (which there are very few real ones). I hope you get the point i'm trying to make.

Latest posts

Back