D. Martell Forgecraft Thinning

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Founding Member
Reaction score
I just finished up this one....

Forgecraft_8_37.jpg

Forgecraft_1_36.jpg

Forgecraft_5_43.jpg

Forgecraft_45.JPG

nice work Dave....I keep thinking about getting one of these...

How much thinning do you end up doing by and large?

and how do you bring out the top part so well?

Great work on classic american knives, hard to believe they once sold for a couple of $ at Woolworths!

How much thinning do you end up doing by and large?

and how do you bring out the top part so well?

Great work on classic american knives, hard to believe they once sold for a couple of $ at Woolworths!

I never measured the thickness but I'd have to guess it's more than 50% thinner along the bevel, maybe even more than that at the tip.

The top section is re-blued and then hand sanded.

Thanks! :)

That looks really nice Dave. I measured one of mine and along the spine it's 2.06 mm above the heel, 2.03 mm mid way and .069 mm just before the grind at the tip. Not a lot of taper, but thins out nice at the tip.

Looks great. For a project like this, do you thin by hand on plates/stones or take it to a belt sander or wheel?

I'm finally getting comfortable thinning, but the time required often makes it feel like a chore. A necessary one, however.

That looks really nice Dave. I measured one of mine and along the spine it's 2.06 mm above the heel, 2.03 mm mid way and .069 mm just before the grind at the tip. Not a lot of taper, but thins out nice at the tip.

Thanks!

Looks great. For a project like this, do you thin by hand on plates/stones or take it to a belt sander or wheel?

I'm finally getting comfortable thinning, but the time required often makes it feel like a chore. A necessary one, however.

I use a belt sander platen. These bevels are flat enough starting out to use a stone or diamond plate but you'd spend an eternity to take off this much steel using stones.

Back