Vintage Sabatier Refurbish

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMJones

Reaction score
Last weekend I was cleaning my shop and came upon on old Sabatier 11 inch chef knife that I picked up a while back. I had actually forgotten about the knife as it was in pretty rough shape and "larry" was carved into the handle. I wish I thought to take a before pic before I decided to try my hand at cleaning it up.

First I ground off the full length bolster to improve performance and increase ease of sharpening.
The blade had been sharpened quite a bit without thinning so I reground the blade face and thinned behind the edge considerably.
The bolster was dirty and tarnished, so I cleaned that up and removed some scratches.
Finally I sanded the handle flush with the bolster and removed the excess wood.

Let me know what you think.

It is available on ebay for sale.

Link

Great Job! I think Larry would be jealous . What grit did you refinish the blade to when you thinned? All belt?

Great Job! I think Larry would be jealous . What grit did you refinish the blade to when you thinned? All belt?

50 grit all belt to about .007- .008 behind the edge, then 160 and 400 grit to remove scratches. Takes a light touch.

Whoa. I was expecting to see a pitted out project knife; that's a real looker. I've never seen the bolster removed from a Sab. It's a whole different animal altogether.

Latest posts

Back