A Tale of Two Petties

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDispossessed

Reaction score
I thought some of you might be interested in my amateur observations and poor photos of two really stellar little knives.
The 180mm Wa-Petty is one of my favorite knife styles. I think it's extremely versatile and attractive to boot.
Here's a quick comparison of a Kato 'Workhorse' and Shig Kitaeji

Both weigh just under 100g
Both are almost exactly 180mm from heel to tip
Both are about 33-34mm tall

IMG_9298.jpg

IMG_9287.jpg

IMG_9284.jpg

Kitaeji pattern shows best in low light.

IMG_9288.jpg

You can see a huge difference in the length of the exposed tang, 10 vs 20mm. My preference would be the longer space on the Shig. I tend to like using shorter knives and backing away on the handle to make them act longer. I do not like a choked up handle on a knife, like on many takedas.

IMG_9289.jpg

IMG_9290.jpg

The Kato remains thick throughout the spine with a somewhat even taper while the Shig has that drastic bulge at the base of the tang. Both are fine in my opinion, as long as there's enough heft near the handle and heel to give the blade some sturdiness (flex isn't my thing).

IMG_9291.jpg

I have used the Kato little, and the Shig not at all. But the choils, if they can be trusted suggest better performance to me of the Kato.

I anticipate selling one of these knives soon, as I can't justify keeping them both. As mentioned, I can't offer up any performance observations here. The Shig may very well remain a collector's piece for now and not see any use as I'm kind of worshipping it's beauty.

Cheers!
Matteo

Those are two fine lookin' knives you've got there. I see nothing wrong with having the odd knife or two as collector pieces, in time they may appreciate in value if they are rare finds.

Pardon my question if it's otherwise obvious, but what specific tasks do you find yourself reaching for this size knife?

I use a gyuto for almost 100% of my kitchen tasks, but like the idea of buying other knives... so help me find the need!

almost everything can be done with these. pull your hand back on the handle and throw your index over the spine for control. Once you get used to cutting that way you might even prefer it with big knives. makes knuckle clearance a non issue and makes any knife feel about 30mm longer.

Pardon my question if it's otherwise obvious, but what specific tasks do you find yourself reaching for this size knife?

I use a gyuto for almost 100% of my kitchen tasks, but like the idea of buying other knives... so help me find the need!

:plus1:

Don't let that Shig sit somewhere wondering what it did wrong. Use them both and write back with the differences!

The face knife nuts make when they hear of your plans to make it a drawer queen:

IMG_9234.jpg

I bet you could remount the handle for the Kato so there's more of the tang exposed...

Back