new project-fish tongs

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delbert Ealy

Reaction score
Ok, I know I posted that I was going to start working on knives today, but then I realized I had one more project that I had to do. I have had a customer that has been more than patient with me and he requested a pair of these. I had the damascus done, but I needed to do some cleanup and cutting and forming. These are pics just before heat treating, the oven is warming right now.
So one is spoken for, but the other 2 are available.
I'm working on the price now, so I don't know right at this moment, but if you are interested let me know.
Thanks,
Del

tongs2.jpg

tongs1.jpg

Haha, just went I thought I had one of everything...

Looking forward to the pictures after etching.

Haha, just went I thought I had one of everything...

Looking forward to the pictures after etching.

Johnny,
Oh just wait until I really get going on the new projects, I may use your quote for the title of a new thread later on.
Del

Del. I hope you can answer my question and I don't sound stupid. This is purely out of curiosity for my mind:

How does the HT differ in respect to this and a knife? As these need to flexible at the hinge without snapping?
Is the flex purely based on design or are there other things that work into the ability of the steel to be used as tweezers?

JM,
not a stupid question.
There are several things in play here, but the most important thing is that they are thin, just over 1mm. They are fully hardened, but tempered back to be much softer than a knife. They also have a smooth curve at the hinge, which distributes the flexing over a larger area than if it was a sharper bend. This will aid in reducing metal fatigue.
I hope this answers your question fully.
Thanks,
Del

You planning on selling the tweezers too? Could be an awesome stocking stuffer.

finished and sold, :viking:
However anyone interested in a pair should PM me so I know how many I should make for the next batch :D

tongs4.jpg

tongs3.jpg

Del, those turned out bad ass...I should expect nothing less from you :D

I really like those, too. Are these your standard O1/L6 damascus? I bet those will take an incredible edge just like the knives... :evilgrin:

I really like those, too. Are these your standard O1/L6 damascus? I bet those will take an incredible edge just like the knives... :evilgrin:

These are my stainless damascus; AEB-L and 304. They are a bit softer than I do the knives.
Del

Del you should make damascus moribashi also. That would be very cool :).

Mokume moribashi in copper and silver. That would be awesome.

Back