Quantcast
More on the the Grind....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More on the the Grind....

More on the the Grind....

I've been asked often (a lot lately) about how the Japanese shape the sides of their knives. I usually explain it by saying something like, "they use multiple bevels along the length, sometimes two or three or even four bevels".

Below is a knife that I got in for thinning the blade that shows my first pass on the belt down the length of the knife. I laid the knife down flat on a dead flat platen (that's 9" long) and you can clearly see that the belt only touches in a 1" (or less) section along it's length.

These pictures demonstrate how this knife is ground with multiple bevels along the blade. I hit the middle bevel but there are still two below and one above plus the edge bevel also.

I hope this helps some of you more clearly see how these knives are ground.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010003.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	1476   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010002.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	1477  

Very cool, thanks for showing us this. I don't recognize the knife, what is it?

Of course, I should have been able to tell by the cladding. I failed.

Quote Originally Posted by obtuse View Post
    Of course, I should have been able to tell by the cladding. I failed.

Nah, not so much, it's barely noticeable in the pictures.

My first thought was 'I would smack you if you did that to my knife' - but then I saw the final outcome and all is well

Stefan

It looks bad doesn't it? That's 80x right there....a well worn 80x though. That same belt would skid on O-1 but tears through this cladding like it's rubber.

Interesting, thanks for sharing.

Dave, do you try and conform your grinding to the existing bevels, or do you essentially blend them all together as a result of the grinding process?

Quote Originally Posted by monty View Post
    Dave, do you try and conform your grinding to the existing bevels, or do you essentially blend them all together as a result of the grinding process?

I try my best to follow what's already there, replicate what the maker put into the knife, but the truth is that this is impossible to do exactly since we use different machines and techniques.