Sugimoto gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaronsgibson

Reaction score
Hey all. Well I've been kind of interested in one of these for a little bit. I've heard that the handles are crappy, (so either I would sand it and refinish it or just replace it) but I was wondering what anyone who used or uses one thinks of the steel and how it preforms. Thanks again.

really? from what I thought it was similar to an aritsugu a type or am I really off base?

it was kind of clunky and thick behind the edge with a huge bevel ground into the right side and almost no bevel on the left... like this (FYI these are all stock images... i had not sharpened the blade at that point... thats how it looked out of the box):
P1040556.JPG

P1040555.JPG

P1040557.JPG

P1040553.JPG

really? from what I thought it was similar to an aritsugu a type or am I really off base?

Considering all of the negative comments about the stock configuration of the A type, I'm surprised that you would be thinking thusly.

haha think I worked to way to long today, my mind was in it's own world. Think I need a drink???

I have the "budget" 210 wa-gyuto with the decidedly rubbish handle (plastic bolster). Very thin, light blade, 90/10 asymmetic with that big bevel. I like the steel, very easy to sharpen, decently hard (RC ~60) crisp feeling stainless. It runs short at about 195mm on the edge and has a narrow profile. It's a useful size, and I use mine a lot.

I believe that the wa-gyutos get significantly more "mighty" as the blade length increases, which (with along the buffalo ferrule on the longer knives) may partly explain the strange pricing structure of these gyutos. The weight of the 270mm is 219g for example, which I would wager is almost double that of the 210 version.

Latest posts

Back