Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some new thoughts on a brisket edge

Some new thoughts on a brisket edge

I competed at the Minnesota State BBQ Championship this last weekend and to my surprise I had a much tougher bark on my brisket than I am used to. Rather than use my scalloped Wusthof slicer to get through the bark I decided to use my Tojiro suji (sharpened to 8000x then stropped). I managed to get some great one pull slices, without any tearing, by first pushing straight down through the bark before beginning the slice. Worked like a charm. Has this worked for anyone else, or am I simply discovering something that has already been discovered a thousand times? From the last several brisket threads I haven heard of anyone suggesting this technique for dealing with bark and a sharp slicer.

Ah, you were just lucky!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

So how did you come out?
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Don't know, but I will let you know in two weeks

Pretty rough. I got Reserve Grand Champion at my last comp and I was feeling pretty confident. I got DQd on my ribs on a technicality (totally my fault, a rookie mistake) and it all kind of fell apart. Humility is a hard dish to eat, but it's got its own nutrient that makes you stronger I ended up in the middle of the pack and won no money. I did get some sharpening done and my new trailer set up allows me to put a quality edge on the knives I'm asked to sharpen.

(I dont do BBQ competitions) What exactly is a DQ-worthy technicality in a BBQ comp?
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Couple questions:

When you say "bark" I assume you're talking the outer layer. How crisp and hard is it?

Quote Originally Posted by monty View Post
    I did get some sharpening done and my new trailer set up allows me to put a quality edge on the knives I'm asked to sharpen.

I think we require pictures here.

Don't forget the samples! Pics are nice, but samples rule!

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    Couple questions:

When you say "bark" I assume you're talking the outer layer. How crisp and hard is it?
    Also what type of brisket? Dickle off or on?

How's the bottom?

The word "bark" is bothering me. It tends to imply charred.