Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some new thoughts on a brisket edge

Yeah on crusty meats a short push cut first followed by a long draw is the way to go a lot of times. Start at the back 1/4 of the knife and just push cut through the bark then one smooth slice backward.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    Yeah on crusty meats a short push cut first followed by a long draw is the way to go a lot of times. Start at the back 1/4 of the knife and just push cut through the bark then one smooth slice backward.
    I have been doing this for a while, but by the time you get to the end of the flat the edge is mostly gone. I have also tried to stop at 1K to get a toothier edge with mixed results.

The last brisket I cooked I sliced the "sides" off the flat and stood the flat up and sliced it from the side, worked pretty well and the edge held up a little better.

Of course this may not be practical at a comp for appearance sake.

I wanna know what is a "rookie mistake" as well.

I also like a toothier edge for crusty proteins, but the technique sounds spot on.....

I often go up the progression, but drop back down to strop on a lower grit stone.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

I would also think natural stones just might be the way to go on this one. Different size particles make different sized teeth. These would break down less uniformly and leave a more toothy edge longer perhaps?
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

super alloy and 6 inch of teeth in front the handle the 15 inch of razor honed plain edge

And a skull bead with tritium eyes.
    Quote Originally Posted by l r harner View Post
    super alloy and 6 inch of teeth in front the handle the 15 inch of razor honed plain edge

I supposedly only turned in 5 rib bones instead of six because two bones were held together by a small thread of meat. I'm not sure that's possible given the way I present ribs, but there's no use in arguing with repes. As for the bark, I wouldn't call it a char because I used indirect heat, but it was more of a jerky kind of coating (which I love for non competition BBQ). As for the brisket, it was a 14 lb whole packer. In the past when I come across this kind of bark my sharper knives tend to run. Since I was in a hurry, and knew I'd already been taken out of contention, I just forced the issue, and it worked!