Top cutting performance knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharptools

Reaction score
Since there have been talk in a couple of threads about cutting performance. What are your top two knives strictly on cutting performance that you own (however you define it)?

Suisin White Steel 270 yanagiba. My favorite yanagi wore it out as banquet blade for sashimi & sushi toppings. A joy to slice with.

Konosuke Fujiyama blue #2 240mm Gyuto. Only used as a home blade

1. Toyama Noborikoi 300mm Sujihiki

It cuts like magic. I can't explain it. An absolute joy to use. Next knife on my list is a Toyama Gyuto. If it's just half as good as my suji, it's a steal.

2. My Kato gyutos

Super convex grinds give a very nice feel when cutting.

1. Thinned 270mm Shigefusa Kasumi Gyuto

2. Custom 270mm Gesshin Hide Tall Kiritsuke

240mm Tanaka Blue #2 Damascus Gyuto
8' Supped up and heavily thinned Z Kramer 52100 Chef's Knife
240mm White #2 Kono Fuji

Also, think it's interesting how many times the Kono Fuji is coming up and Kono in general with the Ginsan now too

Perhaps you need Ming Tsai to push a few of your knives. A Gengetsu Gyuto gets a few dozen at most sites on Google. The Aero has 2,900,000 . I liked watching Simply Ming, lost some credibility pushing total crap. Must have been paid well.

Like this thread see other member's favorite cutters.:happymug:

1.) 9" Bob Kramer chef's knife
2.) 240 mm Artisan gyuto; thinned, sharpened, and rehandled by Dave Martell

That said, picking just two was like picking your two favorite kids if you had 10 and loved them all equally. Tough.

But her face paint is wearing off.

And I do have to agree. My 270 takeda nas gyuto is an absolute joy to cut with besides the fact it constantly digs into the cutting board after sharpening. #sharpknifeproblems

Yoshikane 210 santoku v2 from Maksim

DT ITK 225 gyuto aebl

I feel that this could be subjective as we all have different preferences and styles, and even sharpening stones and sharpening styles which change the performance

For me, these guys:

Don's 220 K Tip, asymmetric
Burke 240 Sanmai
Honorable mention to an oldish, very thin, 250 Carter HG wa-gyuto

Steel, profile, grind, edge, and handle - I find these two to be the all in all best knives I have. But like most things they have been worked on a bit to work best with my style of cutting and in hand feel

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1408483180.944901.jpgIMG_1044.jpg

Latest posts

Back