Quantcast
Matsuo Hamono - The making of Yanagiba
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Matsuo Hamono - The making of Yanagiba

that weird jazz on the second video got a little tiresome but I really enjoyed watching the artist.

neat stuff.

Great video.

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

+1.
    Not that I know a damned thing about knifemaking, but it's surprising how much the blade is 'cold worked'. Is that to normalize the steel, or work harden it or what?
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

The Japanese bladesmith cold works (to my understanding) to planish or smooth, thin, straighten without moving too much material with each blow. Western bladesmiths do not cold forge.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    The Japanese bladesmith cold works (to my understanding) to planish or smooth, thin, straighten without moving too much material with each blow. Western bladesmiths do not cold forge.
    I think Devin told me one that this is done to reduce tension and to straighten the blade. The blows are very gentle, almost like tapping.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

with monosteel cold working can have DISASTROUS results. with a soft jacket it's not necessarily a bad thing though

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    I think Devin told me one that this is done to reduce tension and to straighten the blade. The blows are very gentle, almost like tapping.
    Interesting. Same technique used to straighten a bent car tub.

Quote Originally Posted by WildBoar View Post
    Interesting. Same technique used to straighten a bent car tub.
    very much so, it's just planishing

I had the same reaction to the cold planishing. With that said how can you not be amazed by the skill of a guy like that? I love the old school gear he uses, but that punch press is pretty cool too.