Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: IKAZUCHI AS 210mm fron JKI

IKAZUCHI AS 210mm fron JKI

I told a cook friend to check out these cuz he was looking for a 210mm line blade. He brought it to me to treat the handle & saya. I use Stepan's mix because I used a few of his handles at work & his finish holds up really well. Found it works good with Ho wood. Tung Oil waterproofs & the clear shellac speeds the drying time.

This is the thinnest san mai blade I have seen with a quality AS core. Not that good at taking choil shots don't know how the speck got there not part of the blade. But you can get the general idea this is a thin blade. The handle seems a little small, but it does look good for the 210mm. I figure the 240mm handle may be slightly larger. It is a light knife.

I etched the edge to see the clad pattern. Then sharpened it on 4K gesshin. 3% thinning bevel & 15% final. Stropped on leather.

Started out with vine ripe tomato. Then cut potatoes, carrots, bitter melon, onions, fresh garlic going to make some shrimp curry tonight. This blade cuts very well, little sticking on potato expected for a laser type blade, it glides through different vegetables with ease including carrots.

The saya was not drilled I like pins so drilled it. At 180.00 for the 210mm and 200.00 for the 240mm feel that these are a good value. The grind is thinner than other AS clad knives.

Do this quite a bit for cooks. this is Ho wood not scrubbed after 3 years in the trenches

Couple handles after treatment

Photos not working for me! Thanks for the write up!

Some were working but now all of them are not.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

They are loading for me don't know what the problem is.

How is the weight? Is this essentially a laser?
    ~Brandon

Administrator
    Older and wider..

you may have to change the permissions for these pictures on your google album

Yes, I have a 240mm gyuto and it is a laser. Light and very thin all around. Don't have the specific weight at the moment. I added some Tru-Oil to the raw ho wood handle. I also etched mine and it looks quite dramatic at the stainless cladding border.

I saw a side-by-side choil shot with a Ginga and unless my eyes deceived me--which they love to do--it was noticeably thinner than the Ginga...so, yes on the laser....even though it wasn't attached to a shark's forehead.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by Castalia View Post
    Yes, I have a 240mm gyuto and it is a laser. Light and very thin all around. Don't have the specific weight at the moment. I added some Tru-Oil to the raw ho wood handle. I also etched mine and it looks quite dramatic at the stainless cladding border.
    Any pic's of that etching? Curious to see how it turned out