Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Still kickin' - and pics to prove it

Still kickin' - and pics to prove it

Hi, the older ones among you may remember me: My name is Stefan, and I used to make knife handles, occasionally. In fact, some of you may have grown very old while waiting for a handle from me... Don't want to bore you with my life story - the short version is: It sucks but is better than 2 years ago - but I just did not find a way to making woodworking a priority with everything else going on. But recently I have been getting back a bit - last but not least because Keith (keithsaltydog) has been kicking my butt for which I am very thankful. So, I still have a long way to go, but at least there is a little bit of movement. Just wanted to send a sign of life and some proof that I made it into the shop. These pictures are all of handles that had been ordered a loooong time ago - to the point that I will now contact people in the next couple of days to find out whether they are still interested. In the meantime, a few others have started making handles, and I can blame nobody if they checked in with these guys who do excellent work. In fact, most of mine will almost look a bit simplistic compared to others you may have seen here recently. Anyway, If you think you see yours, send me a PM, but I will also contact everyone over the next few days. These are phone pics, so the colors may not be 100% but you get the idea. Tbc. soon.Thanks,

Stefan

2-tone amboyna, D-shape

Small petty handle, redwood burl & Hawaiian signature wood

Bog oak, horn, nickel silver

koa and marbled horn - mine, all mine

figured African blackwood & Hawaiian signature wood

koa & spalted myrtle burl

Spalted Hawaiian Norfolk pine & marbled horn

Belize rosewood & horn

koa & spalted maple (I think...)

Spalted Norfolk pine & blackwood, similar to Marko's style

pre-WWII bakelite, horn, nickel silver

premium amboyna burl & marbled horn, D-shape

amboyna burl, bog oak, reconst. malachite, oval shape

thuya burl & horn

amboyna burl, horn, nickel silver, a la Marko

koa, horn, nickel silver

desert ironwood burl, horn, bakelite spacer

Honduran rosewood burl & blackwood

Hawaiian signature wood & rosewood burl

myrtle burl & horn

spalted Hawaiian Norfolk pine & horn

Everyone a masterpiece. Honestly you may mÔke thÚ Moost colerful and expressive handles in the world, Nothomg looks over the top. Just pure class.

Hot damn! Nice to see you back in the saddle again Stefan!!!

Oh yeah! Nice to see you back in the saddle! BTW, that marbled horn looks great in every combination.
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Digging the norfolk pine

Oh man, Stefan I'm so going to hop over to Oahu one night, bust into your shop, and steal your entire stash of signature wood, and marbled horn, oh, can't forget the Norfolk pine, and that myrtle wood (such nice color)...damn, I'm going to need to check a bag on the way back . As always, beautiful work Bro. Haole handle makers ROCK!

A hui hou,
    Mikey
    Rule #1- Don't sweat the small s%&t, rule #2- It's ALL small s%&t
    Mikey

Great to see you back in action!

Stefan, these are ALL mine, aren't they?!

For those of you that may not be familiar with Stefan's work, it is absolutely first rate.
    I have 8 Stefan handles (down from 11), some of them from when he was first starting out. All kinds of material combinations; some exotic woods, horn, metals, abalone shell, mammoth tooth, etc. Not one of them ever came apart or had the materials shift or lost their color. Two have outlasted their host blades, and all of them have seen commercial kitchen action; they're not 'drawer queens'.

Welcome back Big Guy!!!!
    All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. - Lawrence

Wow!! That premium amboyna is the nicest I have ever seen. All the handles look really, really nice.