Page 10 of 42 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Stefan's Handle Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    What is the wood on the Warther? Looks cool.
    That's dyed maple burl. That piece had a few issues, some voids and mini cracks. I filled them but wasn't 100% sure everything would hold up, so I had Dave put it on my own knife - looks like it worked out after all...

The Warther should be interesting. They now use CPM S35VN which is not a bad knife steel from what I understand. And there are not too many wa conversions of that knife out there. We'll see how that works in the kitchen.

The koa handle on the Carter slicer is an earlier version of the one I made for Bao - I messed this one up, sanded it too thin and then actually broke through the side wall. It was just a very small hole, but then I poked around and it bcame a huge one I filled it with koa dust and epoxy, but you can see it, I just didn't know how to emulate the pattern of the koa with my filling. I was going to throw it away, but the koa and the horn are both so nice tat I decided to keep it - and the Carter was the only knife that was a match in size.

The black one with the kukui tip and the slim koa one with the mammoth endcap just came out very slim and I was wondering what to do with them, but for the ultra slim Moritka slicer and the thin fuguhiki they should work great.

Stefan

I got my Suisin Gyuto from Dave this week and as usual the work on both ends of this project were impeccable. Thanks to both Dave and Stefan for really making my personal laser a very special knife.

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jeff View Post
    I got my Suisin Gyuto from Dave this week and as usual the work on both ends of this project were impeccable. Thanks to both Dave and Stefan for really making my personal laser a very special knife.

You're welcome Jeff, I'm glad to be able to do my little part. Thanks!

Just want to say the 360mm Shigefusa Kitaeji Yanagiba (pictured on Page 7 of this thread) was waiting on my porch when I got home from a trip today. I can state conclusively that the dynamic duo of Stefan and Dave has come through again. Wow, this one is something to behold! It's beautiful and handles well--balances just slightly forward of the choil. Stefan, all that time pawing through and fondling your blanks paid off. I knew that maple was outstanding from an earlier handle and that thuya blank just screamed potential; it definitely lives up to it. And I finally have one with a damascus endcap. I know it was a serious pain in the a** to work with, but the result speaks for itself.

Dave, your usual superlative job of bringing steel and stick into harmony. The etch really popped the damascus. Thanks!

You all know I don't have any drawer queens, but this sword is going to take me a little while to sully with mere food. My boys will be fighting over this one someday.

Cheers,

Tim

Hi Tim, it's great to see you here (welcome!) and it's even better to see that you're so happy with your knife. It sure is one of the baddest around! Thanks for letting me work on it.

Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010015.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	803   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010017.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	804  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010011.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	805   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010021.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	806  

Name:	P1010018.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	807   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010013.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	808  

Nice lookin' handles Stefan. Even your rejects are amazing!
    - Sean

Here's a couple of Shigefusas....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p1010007.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	810   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010005.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	811  

Name:	P1010010.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	812   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010012.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	813  

Name:	P1010002.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	814   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010006.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	815  

Nice! They look like they should be in the library/ smoking room of a mens club, surrounded by patina'd leather chairs and cigar smoke

Yeah, very classy.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

The owner has another 6 handles exactly the same coming in for re-handling.