Finger divot in Choil- Name is?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goatgolfer

Founding Member
Reaction score
Many of the newer pictures of gyuto knives have a finger relief in the choil. I handled some of ChefLarge's HHH knives this weekend and liked the feel especially with a pinch grip. The choils were also rounded so I don't know if it only comes in the deluxe, rounded and customized option package.

Does this feature have a proper name (like the one its mother gave it)?

Does it have another name other than finger divot (I just made that up)?

I did check the knife book of words before posting and no reference was found.:wink:

I think of it as a choil relief.

I got my inspiration from Fujiwara via the encouragement of Daniel O'Malley. Daniel never specifically called the feature anything, so I started calling it the 'recurve heel' like cheflivengood said. Finger rest makes good sense too.

I've got a Fujiwara and kind of like the 'finger rest', even if they're built a bit too small for my fingers.

I've got a Fujiwara and kind of like the 'finger rest', even if they're built a bit too small for my fingers.

Ya, while it's definitely not very common, it is quite comfortable. I like how it acts as a kind of nook to lock you hand into while slice and dicing. It also makes it difficult for your hand to slide down and accidentally get bitten by the heel of the knife. Almost a kind of guard you might say.

Latest posts

Back