stone question

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flaffer

Reaction score
First of its a synthetic if it makes af difference. but when i wanted to use my 8k stone this morning i noticed a thin crack going trough the entire thickness of the stone and going diagonally across the middle third of the stone almost to the other side. now i havent encoutered this before so i just want to know if its safe to use or if it should just be discarded.
What might have caused it? i usually just leave the stone to dry stading upright next to where i sharpen

6k remembered wrong "JNS 6000 MATUKUSUYAMA" its small enough for my crappy camera not being able to pick it up

It's a "splash and go" stone, i think iv'e read that soaking these can make them crack

Well that could be an explanation. then i prop should be happy that its been holding up to my abuse for three years :p

It's a "splash and go" stone, i think iv'e read that soaking these can make them crack
The JNS 6000 needs to be either used as a splash & go or permasoaked; it's the saturation and drying cycle that can cause the stone to crack.

I recall reading somewhere that Maksim said the 6K benefits from being soaked for 5 minutes or so (i.e. not literally "splash" and go). How long were you soaking yours for?

Somewhere between 5-10min so thats propably the problem. It was just in while i was flatening two other stones. Was quire shure from the start that the fault was on me. Just learned some new stuff today :)

I would glue it on to a piece of aluminum or other stabilized material asap before it splits in two and continue using it the way u prefer:)

Question? When you say glue what kind of glue / adhesive do you used for attaching stone on somthing.

Question? When you say glue what kind of glue / adhesive do you used for attaching stone on somthing.

construction bathroom silicone but i guess any universal glue should work also:)

Latest posts

Back