Quantcast
MAC Knives
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MAC Knives

MAC Knives

Hi

Totally new guy, full respect that im asking a very simplistic question but please forgive me.

Im in a situation where I can choose between a MAC or Kukuichi Yanagi, looking at them the FK300 MAC is the prettiest. This is due to having credit at a store that carries these lines.

Is this a a real knife in terms of the knives you guys like or is this a tourist type of knife ? also same question about Kikuichi Ginsan grade

http://www.macknife.com/kitchen/prod...category_id=31

http://kikuichi.net/yanagisushiknife...nsangrade.aspx

Thanks

Alan

Engorged Member
    What will you primary use be?

Looks have little bearing on performance. Between the two, I'd go with Kikuichi.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Between the two I would go with the Kikuichi too, but I wouldn't pay what they're asking in the link you provided. Even half that price is seems steep for a stainless yanagi.

I dunno I'd go carbon on a yanagi. Though I have no experience with a stainless yanagi so what do I know?
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

I like MAC knives a lot, but I agree with the guys on this one. Gyuto, sure...yanagi, probably not.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by la2tokyo View Post
    Between the two I would go with the Kikuichi too, but I wouldn't pay what they're asking in the link you provided. Even half that price is seems steep for a stainless yanagi.
    Has anyone got a MAC white steel yanagi?

Quote Originally Posted by Timthebeaver View Post
    Has anyone got a MAC white steel yanagi?
    What am i missing on the MAC, it seems to be the same build quality and materials as some pretty serious knives. Is it that its just not good quality

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by welshstar View Post
    Is this a a real knife in terms of the knives you guys like or is this a tourist type of knife ?
    Bro,

We are knife nerds, in every capacity that you can define the word nerd. Don't worry about if it's a "real knife," conditioned upon us liking it, or if it's a "tourist" knife, conditioned upon criteria that are only important to us to begin with.

The best chefs in the world have never heard of us or the knives we like.

That said, I don't know why anyone would ever consider a stainless yanagiba. Chromium and it's related carbides are a detriment to your edge, and yanagiba have no purpose other than to support the absolute sharpest edge you can manage.

Welshstar, the MAC has a carbon edge, and I think it looks pretty sweet. Then again, I like the Mac's I own. Buy it, if you like it, from someone who will allow you to return it if necessary.
    _
    Tom Gray, Seagrove, NC