Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hiromoto AS (and others) knife info

Quote Originally Posted by Mattias504 View Post
    I wish they still had that cool droplet look to them. I had one of the old style ones and regret selling it. It was kick ass indeed.

Here's an old one....

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010155.jpg 
Views:	481 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	1498  

Nice one It was a very early one I first saw that hooked me bad, a 300 suji that was incredably figured. Of all the knives Ken brought over that first night that suji was the most magical to me. I could not get it out of my mind and ended up with the full line of knives within a couple years lol. Today I only have the 3 left, 300 suji, 270 wa suji and 300 wa gyuto. But I will probably get a 240 old style if I ever get the chance lol

Where's the balance point on the Hiro AS 240 gyuto?

Right at the bolster. I like the hiromoto AS, but I'd prefer a more blade heavy balance point. I'm Going to try to rehandle mine with a lighter wood.

Quote Originally Posted by obtuse View Post
    Right at the bolster. I like the hiromoto AS, but I'd prefer a more blade heavy balance point. I'm Going to try to rehandle mine with a lighter wood.
    Weak. I like 'em front heavy.

If you've got a drill press and good bits, you can take the time and cheese-hole the handle to drop weight.

That's probably what I'll end up doing. Now off to find some carbide tipped bits.

Blade heavy my be why I prefer traditional handles over western. Malso be why I liked long bladed western knives over the shorter blades due to balance. But each knife does have a place SOMEWHERE lol.