recs on a stain resistant gyutou and petty

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ucmd

Reaction score
thoughts on misono, masanobu, and masamoto petty and gyutou. what other brands should I consider.

Sounds like you want thin, stainless, western handled and not over about $300 for the gyuto. I would go with Gesshin/Ashi at Japanese Knife Imports (Jon is great to work with). The steel takes and holds a very nice edge and it is very easy to sharpen. I recently sharpened one and the edge was free of burrs after the 1k stone. It was a thing of beauty. The fit and finish on the knives is very, very good. If you don't mind going a little less stainless, I might opt for a Kikuichi TKC from Chef Knives to Go or CarboNEXT from Japanese Chef Knife.

+1 go with the ashi, gesshin ginga. Great performance, great steel, very good fit&finish. Best buy in stainless IMO. Also the Konosuke HD series is very nice if you like wa handles.

Carter SFGZ Riveted Handle Funayuki if you're open to a smaller, but better performing knife with a carbon steel core, and can wait until the sale.

Is there a sale I should know about?

Every once in a while, Murray Carter has a good sale on to clear out his in-stock wares. It's either annual or semi-annual, I'm not sure which.

Here's hoping it's in Mid-September!

CarboNEXT from Japanese Chef Knife.

CN really is one of the best values out there hands down. It will develop a slight patina, but nothing like an actual carbon knife. Definitely one of my favorite non-carbon steels.

Thanks so much For the tips. so many knives to buy...so little time.

I would go with Gesshin/Ashi at Japanese Knife Imports (Jon is great to work with).

+1 go with the ashi, gesshin ginga.

I'm very pleased with my recent acquisition of an Ashi 150mm petty. Even though it's the standard line, it's a pleasure to sharpen and a superb value. Edge retention is no problem because it rarely hits the cutting board, and never with any force. F&F is really fantastic (though no rounded choil/spine). If budget is at all a concern, I'd opt for the cheaper, non-Gesshin petty and put the $45 towards the gyuto.

Tanaka's blue#2 150-160mm wa-petty is freakin' wonderful; real sharp OOTB, exceedingly thin and not very reactive.

Back